Anyone know anything about this amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I pick this up for next to nothing today, I only really need it for the chassis anyway, but I've tested it and it works, so I wouldn't mind know a little more about it if possible....

Front:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Guts:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

On the back it looks like it's made by:

"D J CONTRACTS
RYE
EAST SUSSEX
+44 01424 882636"

The power caps are rated for 50v so I can't imagine it having much power for a PA amp, I was told it does 280w which I took with a large pinch of salt...

Anyone know anymore about it at all? It's almost as if someone was selling DIY amps as it looks totally DIY!

Looks like a fairly basic MOSFET amplifier, probably similar to the old Hitachi note, judging by the parts count in each channel. I'd have said MAYBE 200W per channel into 4 ohms, but the lack of heatsinking other than the case make me think that it'd probably expire fairly quickly if you tried it!

Looks like theres some good quality parts in there though. It'd make a nice home for a 100W/8 ohms amp. See if you can work out what VA rating the transformer is. If there's a fuse on the primary side of the transformer, it might provide a rough idea.

I'd suggest +-45Vdc for the supply rails to those Vfet outputs.
This will give you a nice 70W into 8r0 amplifier.
Add a decent heatsink to keep them cool.
If the transformer is of too high a voltage, remove it for another project.

BTW,
I'll guess the 280 in the ref no. is the sum of the maximum transient rms power into both channels. i.e. 140W into 4r0, 10% duty cycle @ 10% distortion.
Which might just equate to 70+70W into 8r0 @ 10% distortion. or 60W+60W into 8r0, 0.5% distortion.

Take out those 2off 4700uF caps and replace with 4 off 10mF caps, thus increasing the smoothing by a factor of four. +-20mF is ideal for a single channel feeding 8ohm speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.