clean, wrm, sweet sound amp CLass A - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2008, 07:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default clean, wrm, sweet sound amp CLass A

hi,

anyone made 60wats or more class A amp, which produce very sweet sound? i want to make one class A amp which can produce sweet, wrm and clean sound. my budget is $1000.

i need help to get circuit design.

thank you.
Old 7th May 2008, 07:22 AM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

It does not have to be Class A to be "Musical" or "Sweet sounding"
Regards Karl
Old 7th May 2008, 07:34 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to linuxguru
Yup, it doesn't have to be Class A. However, if you're hell-bent on Class A, start with a 6 - 15W design initially, and depending on whether you like the sonics, attempt a higher-powered design later. A good starting point is the JLH Class A.
Old 7th May 2008, 07:47 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

hi,

thanks. i just made two amps. those are not really very sweet sound quality. it's very good quality but not that kind of sweet sound. i just tested those two. Thanks to them for there circuit posted on this forum.

now I am looking for more btr sound quality with sonic sweet (i dn't know is this correct words). thanks for informing me, it dsn't have to be class a amp.

anyway i just want to get any one can post nice amp to try.

thank you.
Old 7th May 2008, 01:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

You can always try this one of mine. This beats hand down all the amps I have compared it with, commercial and DIY, including some highly regarded Class A's, for musicality. There is a vibrancy and truly captivating quality about the sound. The soundstage take on width and depth, it's hard to describe but other amps sound "flat" and well just "boring" in comparison. It's cool running, and stable.
Enjoy
Regards Karl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img178.jpg (97.9 KB, 1241 views)
Old 7th May 2008, 02:26 PM   #6
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mooly
It does not have to be Class A to be "Musical" or "Sweet sounding"
Regards Karl
No, but it helps cover up your mistakes. The best sounding amp I ever built was the original 25 watt SE class A that Nelson Pass designed and published in (I think) Wireless World back in the stone age. I put it together on perf board with point to point wiring and a rats nest going to the heatsinks. Do that with any well-regarded class B design and you'll ruin it. At best it will sound mediocre, at worst you get an oscillator bound for the trash can. You see it all the time on this baord - people showing spice simulations of amps with fourth-decimal-place distortion figures. You'll only get that with immaculate construction techniques. With class A, all the currents in the circuit are linear and that's not such a hard and fast requirement.
Old 7th May 2008, 03:04 PM   #7
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: clean, wrm, sweet sound amp CLass A

Quote:
Originally posted by space2000
hi,

anyone made 60wats or more class A amp, which produce very sweet sound? i want to make one class A amp which can produce sweet, wrm and clean sound. my budget is $1000.

i need help to get circuit design.

thank you.

60watts ClassA you how big the heatsink would be, besides you know how power is wasted? Think about global warming first before wasting power....
Old 7th May 2008, 05:10 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

wg_ski,
Sense at last, re "Spice Simulations" does nobody actually build anything and just as importantly measure anymore ? Distortion to 0.00000XXX, well if your 5 transistor super linear differential cascaded cascode with 5 pole nested anti oscillation feedback and anti parasitic woofer achieves that you can command your own salary with any semiconductor design house. . Simulation has it's place, but it's only the starting point in my book.
As you say, construction and layout is everything (even with Class A.)
Regards Karl
Old 7th May 2008, 07:15 PM   #9
ECBLN is offline ECBLN  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi @ all

@ mooly is this your own design ?

is there any pcb or other measurements data ect....

--

i like class a technical design´s but there are very expensive in cooling
transormers and so on .......

on the HIGH END Show in Munich last month i saw some interesting

class A tubes as well but veryy veryyyy expensive
Old 7th May 2008, 08:12 PM   #10
gareth is offline gareth  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mooly
You can always try this one of mine. This beats hand down all the amps I have compared it with, commercial and DIY, including some highly regarded Class A's, for musicality. There is a vibrancy and truly captivating quality about the sound. The soundstage take on width and depth, it's hard to describe but other amps sound "flat" and well just "boring" in comparison. It's cool running, and stable.
Enjoy
Regards Karl

Hi mooly,

I too would be interested in any specs you can provide for your design if possible.

Gareth

Edit..Is this a modified Slone design?

Hide this!Advertise here!