Yamaha RX-797 opinions ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th May 2008, 02:30 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Yamaha RX-797 opinions ?

Yamaha RX-797 opinions ?

Hi guys,

Was just wondering if this amp is any good, I'm am on a small budget and need an amp form my NAD C542, currently using a Yamaha RXV-457 and hoping this will be a step up.

Please let me know what you think.

Thank You
Old 12th June 2009, 04:50 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Angry RX-797...not reliable in my mind...

I have a Yamaha RX-797 receiver that I have owned from new...about 2.5 years. It has probably only 400-500 hours of use.
Remember that warranty is 2 years?
Well, my receiver will only produce sound when in the "pure direct" mode...that bypasses all balance, tone controls, etc. Yamaha has been NO help, and won't even refer me to a recommended repair facility. They will not even relate if there are any tech. bulletins on this problem. I am going to post here for some much needed advice.
Old 12th June 2009, 07:35 AM   #3
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Give the Yamaha a miss for music making. Have a look at the NAD C326BEE which is in your price range as it's supposed to be very good. The new Cambridge Audio 650A looks interesting and could be a good option. These would be a huge step up from a RXV-457 for tunes.

You've got a good CD player so deserves a good amp for sure.

I've played with Yamaha stereo receivers and they take a lot of work to make them sound good. As well I tried a Yamaha A-S1000 which would be better than the receiver and was quite ordinary in sonics but looked very cool.

I have a Yamaha HT amp (RXV440 I think) which is great for movies but horrible with stereo music.

Hide this!Advertise here!