Cyrus 2 no output after short fall

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My beloved cyrus 2 built 1986 recently fell about a foot front-first off a low shelf :bawling: and, perhaps not surprisingly, wasn't happy about it :dead: ? Power on is OK but there is no output using the CD input. All I can hear is a very weak ouptut through the L channel only, barely audible and it doesn't increase when the volume control is increased. I have removed the cover and cannot see any obvious physical damage.

I am a Pom currently living in Sydney and a chemist by training. Though not great with electronics I can find my way around a schematic and have access to 'scopes etc. and electronics labs and friendly electrical engineers if necessary. I would appreciate any advice on troubleshooting this problem. I have the issue 07 cyrus 1 schematic from this forum. Alternatively any suggestions for repair shops preferrably in Oz or in the UK (will be back there briefly in Jan 09 if not before) would be great.

Many thanks in advance
Bill R, Sydney

Hi Andrew, MadMutt & Mooly,
Thanks for your posts which prompted me to investigate further:

AndrewT said:
Hi,
the volume control probably hit the floor.
It may have cracked the pot track or the connection to the PCB.
Do any other inputs still work correctly?

No, all inputs behave in the same way - hear L channel (only) at v low volume, with no response to volume control.
The volume contol has indeed taken a hit. The rearmost of the 2 small vertical mounting boards has broken completely in two allowing the control to be tilted forward at a crazy angle (see image apologies for quality).
Are their actually traces on that rear PCB or is it purely mechanical - it's hard to see?

I guess that at least that whole volume contol assembly will need to be checked out and repaired. Any practical tips for doing that - it doesn't look easy to get at? I haven't yet removed the main board from its metal case.

MadMutt said:
If it landed front first on the selector knob, and the cd input is the only fault, I would say the selector switch is broken.

Selector switch seems OK.

Mooly said:
PCB cracked around input sockets, was it connected at time.

All the inputs behave the same way. Yes it was connected at the time, but I guess I should investigate the vol control issues first?

Cheers, Bill

Attachments

• vol_cntl_small.jpg
    vol_cntl_small.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 223
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.