Accurian Sender Repair help 15-1938

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently received this accurian wireless sender (15-1938) and accurian wireless speakers. The sender does not power on and I believe (hope) this should be a relatively simple fix. I traced the circuit board via the images with my volt meter and lose power on the output side, of what I am calling, the power transformer. I was hoping someone here could look at the high-res images I have linked below and give me some suggestions on repair. I am a laymen and that might be pushing it a little...
I look forward to some suggestions

Here are the images:

Botttom: http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm247/junknstuff_photos/15-1938003.jpg

Top:
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm247/junknstuff_photos/15-1938001-1.jpg

Thanks

A wireless sender that uses a Realtek 8019 LAN chip - interesting :)

By the look of it, the power transformer is toast if you cant read any voltage at all (it will be AC) on the secondary side. It's not likely that you'll be able to get a replacement unfortunately.

Boardum

Hi,

IIRC I have 5 of the receiver boards that I have no use for. As far as I can see they use an identical transformer. If you are willing to pay shipping you can probably remove the part and re-solder it to get what you need.

If you search for "accurian" you should be able to find the thread I started in the trading post trying to give the things away, if nothing else you can see a picture.

Let me know what you think

Stuart

Can't be certain...

But they look pretty darn similar to me...

In fact comparing the pictures we have each posted the 'sender' and 'receiver' boards look very similar too...

Perhaps they are really the same and I just need to figure out the right jumper settings to make my 'receiver's into matched pairs.

Stuart

senders...

Yeah, through correspondence with Michael (wirelessrat) we (he) changed a receiver into a sender by exchanging the small socketed rom. The boards are identical, it is just the firmware that changes...

If someone out there can burn these parts to make a couple of my surfeit of receivers into senders it would make what is currently a lot of junk useful...

Hopefully Michael can address your other questions, I'm still transmitterless, so not sure of jumper settings etc...

Stuart

Thats easy...

...Michael

though he might not want to be without his toy for the week or so it would take to send it to someone etc.

Do you have the means to burn the proms?

Stuart

Oh wait, there's a certain ambiguity here, did you mean the original e-prom image for a transmitter? I haven't checked part numbers but there is a good chance we can simply reprogram the parts we already have.

Stuart

OK, I've worked in digital electronics for many years so sure I know how to program a PROM, EEPROM etc. But, I don't have access to a programmer at the moment, or an original to copy, so that's why I asked. I just need one transmitter, two would be nice, I'll probably look on ebay.

Yes, if the original is a reprogrammable type such as EEPROM or FLASH, we can reuse it.

The RX prom is labeled: RS, 0624, R
I'd guess that RS is Radio Shack, R at the end for RX version?

PROM is cheap these days, I'm surprised that they didn't put both in one PROM with a page select to choose the mode.

I'll keep an eye out for a transmitter.

Thanks again,
Pete B.

(First post. Newbie.)

Read this thread and I'm in a similar position as Wirelessrat. I have one transmitter, three receivers and a pair of receiver speakers. The sender got toasted in a power surge along with several other components in my house. (My first experience with that kind of thing. Nasty.)

Without the receiver, all other components are useless. Very painful.

Just like wirelessrat, I'm guessing that my transformer is toast, but is there anything I can do that might verify that for me? I was thinking of going to a local electronics repair place to see if they can do anything. Anyone try RadioShack for repairs?

In the meantime, I'm definitely looking for another transmitter or useful parts for such.

Anything anyone can suggest or recommend is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Luckily...

The sender and receivers are the same. The only difference lies in the prom used to control the computer that runs the show. Since you have at least one transmitter, your fastest way to "something" working is to pull the eprom (shown earlier in the thread) and swap it into one of your receiver boards. Assuming the transformer is what's broken, you will then have a working transmitter and a broken receiver...

I have several of the receiver boards, if you want to buy one let me know, I'm not looking to make money, just can't lose any...

Happy new year

Stuart

Jim, take the "PROM" out if the fried sender and use it to replace the one in a receiver. That is what I did to get the hard to find sender to work again and it worked perfectly. So, the only difference in the sender and receiver is the "PROM" and the plastic. Once you get inside a sender and receiver you will only see the only difference is the text label on the "PROM." I can send images of the "PROM" that needs to be swapped out if needed.

Thanks for the assists. I swapped out the PROM (RS 0624 R for RS 0624 T) and still no luck.

There are two sockets on the board as well. The one in the transmitter has the cord plugged into "CON2 A-IN" while the receiver has a cord plugged into "CON2 A-OUT"

Do I have to swap these cords out as well?

Thanks again.

Jim

Just registered. I know this is an old thread. I have a few sets of the speakers 40-1462 and a transmitter 15-1938. Somehow they don't communicate anymore. Does The SST39VF010 70-4c-NH 0402031 on the receiver ever go bad? if its an PROM, then why would it loose its programming? The transmitter also has the same chip. What else could be wrong? It powers on, but does not communicate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.