margan : non switching class B

#10 Журнал " РАДИО" № 2, 1987 г. , стр. 59 ЗА РУБЕЖОМ - This is an abstract (E. Margan. Add-on current dumping. - Electronics & Wireles World. 1985, Vol. 91, October. No. 1596. p. 40).
VT3 / VT4 included with a common base. Form NFB by current through R6 / 12 from resistors .

#10 Журнал " РАДИО" № 2, 1987 г. , стр. 59 ЗА РУБЕЖОМ - This is an abstract (E. Margan. Add-on current dumping. - Electronics & Wireles World. 1985, Vol. 91, October. No. 1596. p. 40).
VT3 / VT4 included with a common base. Form NFB by current through R6 / 12 from resistors .
Further in No. 12 / 1990 radio magazine page 63. G. Bragin's amplifier, adaptation of the idea to the Soviet element base. Then V. Mogilny with its variants of Super A . Familiar for a long time.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Back at #12, Paul Bysouth gave one if his references to an article by Marcel van de Gevel, titled `Audio Power with a New Loop’ in Electronics World, Feb. 1986". Though the magazine title was then "Electronics and Wireless World", the Feb. 1986 issue/date reference still seems to be wrong. Does anyone have a correct reference to the article or is it just me who can't follow the clues?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Slightly more readable image

Attachments

• moargan.png
    moargan.png
    308.9 KB · Views: 398
Not popular OK, but quite effective.

Thanks.
Despite its appeal, this idea did not catch on among the masses.

Hi Stanislav 1957,

here bambo (1964), I noticed your dislike (also in posts 20 and 22, unless I'm mistaken of course) of Erik Margan's approach before. I keep wondering (just like with others who seem to dislike) why you don't like the non switching B solution proposed by him. I think it is very well explained, elegantly simple and above all effective... Is it -to your ears- soundwise not OK? Is there a Balkan war or another post iron curtain smudge? Do you have measurements that are radically different from the ones of the author?
It is a question for me. I simply don't get why Margan's solution is no good in your opinion.

Apart form this, I want to wish you and all fellow-DIY audio enthousiast all the best for 2021!

best regards,
Mark

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Mark, if I may intrude - Margan's idea seems to be good - but can we see even one amp utilizing his idea - built and tested?
Or at at least working sim of a practical amp, with decent numbers showing?
I would love to see something at least sim-able or, even better - built.
Happy New Year!

I try to avoid giving ratings to the works of other authors. I didn't say that I didn't like this or that amplifier. I said that this solution is not very popular among the masses and that's all.
Happy New Year 2021 to all, happiness, health and a peaceful sky above your head .

Last edited:
I built two class B amplifiers this year. Both have virtues, showing outstanding results in some areas, but I don’t think that class B would be the last word in the world of audiophile amplifiers. They simply didn’t make a breakthrough in sound reproduction. Thanks to everyone (especially for you gentlemen) for help and inspiration throughout the year. I wish you all a happy new year and good health. New year will begin with new amplifier (principle).

Last edited:
Mark, if I may intrude - Margan's idea seems to be good - but can we see even one amp utilizing his idea - built and tested?
Or at at least working sim of a practical amp, with decent numbers showing?
I would love to see something at least sim-able or, even better - built.
Happy New Year!

Of course Minek,
you can intrude. What, I ask myself, is wrong with the amp Erik Margan, including measurements, himself presented (many, many moons ago)? I built some quite comparable amps myself, but have no sim, nor real life measurements figures to show. I use them for LF operation only... my thinking (I admit: belief) is that at LF (below say 3 kHz) Margan's non-switching Class B is more than good enough (as in state of the art). And perhaps (I believe) at HF pure class A (if at all possible without loop feedback :cool:) may have a subtle but worthwhile advantage ;)

kind greetings,
Mark Bolech