Marantz pm78 died

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

My formerly trusty PM78 just died on me today. Though it still switches on (that is, the power light goes on) it doesn't amplify anymore. No sound at all comes from both the speakers and the headphones. Also, there used to be a click / switching noise, about 4 seconds after switching the power on, but that doesn't happen anymore. It doesn't get warm either.

I opened it up, but couldn't see anything obviously wrong with it.

Is there anyone that can think of a way to find out what's wrong / fix it? I hope so, otherwise I have to get another amp!

Thanks a lot!!

The relay now not firing (clicking you heard after power up) indicates its either doing the job and the amp is in protection OR there is a problem in the protection circuit. If you don't have electronics background and/or troubleshooting skills your best to take it in for an estimate. The odds are that the amp secton is damaged with blown outputs though. If your gonna try having a go yourself and maybe someone helping you along through the forum then a service manual would be beneficial.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.