Stan Curtis 60W Class A

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello

I am going to make the Stan curtis 60w class a amplifier. I tried this amp many years ago when in my early twenties and the project failed. Now I have more experience I wold like to try again. I have all the parts but need the PCB artwork. I thing the original project was published in ETI winter audio edition in the mod 1980's.
I have just heard this amp made with the original PCBS and I was very impressed with the sound. Does any one out there have the mag for sale or a copy of the pcb artwork so I can get some PCBs made. I would like to keep to the original artwork

regards

Nick

Nick

I have the original magazine with the full article for the pre and power amps including the pcb artwork. I will also add the updates that Stan Curtis published a year later.

I made the pre and power amps and they do sound very good. I like the design. Not unlike the Krell in sound. I have swapped out the output devices for later faster ones and that helped. I built the amps as monoblocks and added a 4" fan to each monoblock to keep them running at reasonable temperatures. The amps do run at 60 watt class A and give off a lot of heat. The pre amp also sounds good.

The overall article plus pcb plus updates is very long and I only have hard copies. If you give me your address I will post you a photo copy.

Don

If this amp had an active current source for half the output, you would be correct.

3A bias is higher than need be for push-pull class A.

Only enough bias to keep the un-driven half of the output stage from cutting off when the oher half is driven to peak is required. This is typically one half of the peak current required. 2A is probably all that is needed.

Andrew

When you read the article Sran Curtis talks about the output transistor (a) always being turned on (b) operating in true class a (c) always operating in its linear region. And the general tone is that the amplifier is full class A. I set the bias to 4 amp and not 3 amp. This means that each output transistor dissiipates 53 watt and not 40 watt as discussed in the article.

Don

AndrewT said:
That's the problem.
It either needs 4A bias for a single ended ClassA or 2A bias for push pull.
Stan Curtiss would not have got it wrong so why 3A of bias?

Hi,

I think you've answered your own question as it is not single ended.
Its push pull and will enter class B into lower impedance loads.
So presumably class A is maintained into < 8R, seems to be ~ 6R.

Enough current for 8R is not enough for an 8 ohm speaker .......

:)/sreten.

Hi Sreten,
you are thinking along the lines I adopted for the Krell Klone I built.

If we are right, then it looks like Stan designed for 60W into 8r0 in full ClassA and when driving real 8ohm speakers discovered that it sounded better by increasing the bias by a further 50% to make it stay in ClassA for virtually any 8ohm reactive load upto the same 31Vpk of output voltage.

This implies 93W into 5r2 in ClassA, seems he missed, or deliberately avoided, the traditional trick of claiming the most it can do.

jamesfeline

I do still have the stan curtis 60 watt power amps.

the power amps I normally use alternate between;
Kelvin labs 60 watt monoblocks
Electrocompaniet 25 watt amps
Forte 4/5
Musical Fidelity M270
jlh 30 watt amps

I recommend also trying the Stan curtis pre amp which I also enjoyed.

As I mentioned earlier I used more modern power output transistors in the stan curtis 60 watt power amps that I built. Sometime in the future I will try different devices at the input. I have modified the electrocompaniet and put jfets at the input. This seems to me to give more detail and resolution. It may be worth considering in the stan curtis amp.

I did not find the stan curtis amp difficult to build or set up. Please remember however that it does need large heatsinks. I hope you build it and enjoy it.

Don

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
class a pcb

so a small review before gerber generation

Attachments

• P9260010.jpg
    P9260010.jpg
    660.4 KB · Views: 1,414
  • P9260012.jpg
    P9260012.jpg