fake transistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
just wanted to let the community know that i recently received a batch of completely fake toshiba transistors from

ACME Enterprises of Orlando
6192 Edgewater Drive
Orlando FL 32810 USA
1-800-575-9833

http://www.acme-sales.net/

so please be careful if you decide to order from these people. they most certainly do ship fakes, despite the numerous promises to the contrary on their website.

gain

Have you informed either Toshiba or NESDA, of which this company is a member ? I noticed that false or misleading advertising is high on the list in the NESDA charter.
I hope that you are 100% correct with your claims, and that the company named was not aware that they were selling fakes.
Don't forget that you are living in the land where suing somebody appears to be a national pastime ! No offence intended.

SandyK

SandyK: Thanks for the info. How would one go about notify toshiba and/or NESDA? I too hope they were not aware, but these are most certainly 100% fake. A CHILD could look at these and tell they are not toshiba. I don't really want to get anyone in trouble or sue them, I just don't want anyone else to get ripped off like i did.

Bigred: Sorry dont want to comment on the exact part I ordered due to the possibility of being personally identified.

regards

gain said:
just wanted to let the community know that i recently received a batch of completely fake toshiba transistors from

ACME Enterprises of Orlando
6192 Edgewater Drive
Orlando FL 32810 USA
1-800-575-9833

http://www.acme-sales.net/

so please be careful if you decide to order from these people. they most certainly do ship fakes, despite the numerous promises to the contrary on their website.

Why are you so surprised, the name of the company should tell you who are you dealing with, ACME - A Company that Make Everything, just imagine what kind of things you can order there, even fake transistors ... :D :D :D

Were do you guys recommend to buy quality components without breaking the bank? I was thinking of building c200 amp on ampslab.com

http://www.ampslab.com/c200.htmc200

Thats when I was looking on ebay for part MJ15004 and found this:

MJ15004

If you scroll half way done you can see detailed pictures of fake transistors. It makes me scared to buy stuff on ebay.

Fake Transistors

Please post some pictures of the transistors. HAve you tested the transistors in any way ? If the transistors are fake, contact the seller immediately! Provide them with the information (web pages etc) that verify the transistors being fake. The seller is probably unaware the transistors are not original, and will work to remedy the situation.

Don't risk eBay, especially if the seller is in China or Hong Kong which is now frequently the case. They might well show you pictures of the genuine article but more often than not they will send you the fakes.

Stick to ordering from a big supplier such as Digi-Key, Mouser, Farnell etc... if you only want a small quantity, try the Onsemi samples programme.

Re: Fake Transistors

Lazy Cat said:

Why are you so surprised, the name of the company should tell you who are you dealing with, ACME - A Company that Make Everything, just imagine what kind of things you can order there, even fake transistors ... :D :D :D

lol, yeah perhaps i should have seen it coming, the name does remind me of something out of bugs bunny cartoons. however, i usually tend to trust people until they give me a reason not to. gets me in trouble sometimes, like here, but hey thats just the way i am.

zlast said:
HAve you tested the transistors in any way ?

well the thickness of the TO-3 case, where it bolts to the heatsink, is about half as thick as that of the original. also, the caps are secured to the case with what appears to be super glue. the markings are also completely different ... the ones i got don't even say 'toshiba' anywhere on them! :bigeyes:

richie00boy said:
Did the catalogue page or web page listing the transistors actually say they were Toshiba?

yes. their 'about' page, located here

http://www.acme-sales.net/about.html

states "Our promise: No imitations - No rebrands - No counterfeits"

richie00boy said:
If you haven't even contacted the seller I think it is most unfair and unwise to say bad things about them in public. How do you know they won't immediately apologise and refund your money with a promise of an investigation into how it happened?

I don't believe i said anything 'bad' about them per se, just simply stated what happened to me. i received a batch of fake toshiba's, and i said this 100% true fact publicly as a courtesy to the other members of this forum who may be considering ordering from them. i wish ACME no ill will whatsoever, and at this point have every faith that this will prove to be an honest, unintentional mistake on their part.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.