no current mirror, current mirror, cascoded current mirror, bjt or jfet VAS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,
i started my tests with Borbely super buffer topology. But i modified the OLG because i thing that 40dB of feedback is too high and drop to 15dB. I checked hte FFT with my cd player with cd test at 1Khz to 0dB because i don't have a good sine wave generator and he has 0.0068% THD. I have cheap PS with regulator 7812 and 7912. The output for my all test is 2V rms. Any comments is welcome. Thank You! Maxpou

Attachments

• preamp with rd470.png
    preamp with rd470.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,504
Hi Peufeu,
because in my experience, i have a better sound when i reduce OLG in my cd player, line stage, power amp and i listen a old audioresearch 100.2 ( 6 dB of feedback) in my friend home and i loved the sound. I listened the Ayre audio system too and my jaw fell to the ground. So because I find it difficult to build a pre-amp without feedback I want to reduce as much as possible. thank you! Maxpou

aparatusonitus said:
Hi maxpou,

Have you checked OLG each time when switching from one CCS to another? What would happened if you lose the VAS loading resistor and use local feedback to control OLG?

Hi aparatusonitus,
no i dont checked the OLG each time and if i lose the VAS loading unfortunatly i have high gain :bawling: . i tried to decrease OLG with local feedback but it does not work. How do i succeed?

Hi maxpou,

What I would try is to lose VAS loading with 47k resistor and try two 100k resistors each connected from drain of lower J-fet to gate of upper J-fet (referring to positive side of VAS), same thing for negative side.

I wander why you chose to exclude output stage from global negative feedback...if you enclose output stage in feedback loop your THD numbers will definitely go down big time, output DC drift will be better control, output impedance will go down and so fort.

aparatusonitus said:
Hi maxpou,

What I would try is to lose VAS loading with 47k resistor and try two 100k resistors each connected from drain of lower J-fet to gate of upper J-fet (referring to positive side of VAS), same thing for negative side.

I wander why you chose to exclude output stage from global negative feedback...if you enclose output stage in feedback loop your THD numbers will definitely go down big time, output DC drift will be better control, output impedance will go down and so fort.

Hi Apara,
i put my result if i try to put a local feedback in VAS with 100K and if i include my output stage in my negative feedback. I don't have a problem with my dc drift. Thank You! Maxpou

Attachments

• global and local feedback.pdf
    85.6 KB · Views: 207
Hi maxpou,

If you are using it as a line amp, I would recommend you to lower your gain, so try to replace 220R resistor in FDB divider for one of 560R. Also, put something like 5~15pF(mica or polystyrene in parallel with 100k local feedback resistor). Next thing I would like you to try, if you can, is to replace 4V7 zeners for LM336-5V and replace 10k current sink resistor for J-fet CCS (use 2SK246 or BF256A/B/C with current program resistor in source)

aparatusonitus said:
Hi maxpou,

If you are using it as a line amp, I would recommend you to lower your gain, so try to replace 220R resistor in FDB divider for one of 560R. Also, put something like 5~15pF(mica or polystyrene in parallel with 100k local feedback resistor). Next thing I would like you to try, if you can, is to replace 4V7 zeners for LM336-5V and replace 10k current sink resistor for J-fet CCS (use 2SK246 or BF256A/B/C with current program resistor in source)

Hi apara,
thank you for your advises i think to built on my original schematic and listen, after i will changer a thing at a time and listen yet. Thank you Maxpou

Comments about the schematics :

- There are some dots (junction) missing, careful if you use Eagle for layout...
- I tried a similar circuit some years ago (but with JFET input and the rest bipolar) and didn't really like the sound
- Don't forget to plot OL gain and phase to check for stability
- About the last one : if you don't include the output stage in the feedback you will get some DC offset at the output, also it is not clear if the output JFETs work in source follower or current source

Don't forget to report how it sounds, though

peufeu said:
Comments about the schematics :

- There are some dots (junction) missing, careful if you use Eagle for layout...
- I tried a similar circuit some years ago (but with JFET input and the rest bipolar) and didn't really like the sound
- Don't forget to plot OL gain and phase to check for stability
- About the last one : if you don't include the output stage in the feedback you will get some DC offset at the output, also it is not clear if the output JFETs work in source follower or current source

Don't forget to report how it sounds, though

Hi Peufeu,

- Sorry for forget junctions, i corrected my errors

- If you don't like the sound, maybe you have other schematic at propose to me or mods.

- How can i check the phase?

- I check my output DC with and without the output stage in feedback and i don't have the problem my DC is stable

- My output jfet work in source follower at Idss bias.

Thank you! Maxpou

To check for stability you would plot the open loop gain's phase and magnitude.

You can do that with the loop open (you will need to set a precise DC offset in Spice to zero the output and send a small signal at the input).

Then you close the loop, and you can plot it again by dividing the output voltage by the error voltage at the input. This gves you the open loop gain.

But your design is a current-feedback amplifier, so how to apply this is slightly trickier.

A simpler thing to do is to plot V(out) from DC to say, 100 MHz, and look for indications of ringing or bad damping. Try simulating it with a bit of capacitance at the output, too, like the capacitance of the cable you will use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.