Capacitor Krell KSA 100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello
I should like the capacitor to change at the driver-boards my Krell KSA 100.
What can I take for capacitors?
Is the Original capacitor very good or is it a standard norm capacitor.
Must the capacitor over 85C*

Attachments

• krellkondensatoren.jpg
    krellkondensatoren.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,320
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Old electrolytic caps in warm class A amps have a tendency of drying out so replacing them is no useless luxury. Certainly not with this age.

Panasonic FC maybe a good replacement. Check the sizes first and compare them to the original ROE Roederstein caps if they fit on the PCB. Black Gate won't fit on the PCB I guess.

To answer your question: the ROE were standard industrial quality caps that can not be compared with the quality you can obtain today. Using newer types will give good results if choosen with care.

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/components/pdf/ee080_eeu_fc_dne.pdf

Wise man!

This amp could be improved quite a bit with some mirrors and CCS, but I suppose that mod would be considerably more complicated.

I 100% agree with you...a topologie mod make much more improvements..... ;)

as you have sugested a mirror can increase the slew rate...and the CCS increase PSRR and open loop gain...but need more home work...

So.... the "vogue" of changing the components !

Jorge

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
So.... the "vogue" of changing the components !

Changing electrolytics in an amp because they have worn out of age and heat is not a vogue. Wanting to change an original Krell to something undefined is.

I don't like to bring my car to a workshop for changing oil and filters and then get the answer that I should change the engine because it would run better.

Alex, if you just want to service dry caps you can use Panasonic FC with excellent results. Schuro sells them.

http://www.schuro.de/preisl-pana-fc.htm

Check the BG's too as they really are better and if you love the amp and want to keep it in good shape. BG is not available as far as I know in 105 degrees Ceslius variants and they are terribly expensive.

If you want to change the amp alltogether as some advise you to do you really need the skills for designing. Maybe that's not what you want ?

Mit freundlichem Gruss,

Jean-Paul

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
OK Jorge, the guy asks something you don't give an answer to. He wants replacement caps for his Krell.

In your infinite wisdom you advise him to change things he didn't ask for and maybe has not the skills nor will for. If he would have wanted that he would have asked that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.