Stk3082 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2008, 12:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Stk3082

I found some NOS modules in my parts bin. Can I make anything usable out of the module? If my memory is correct they were used in integrated amplifiers in the 80's. Anyone remember?
What would it take to make an amplifier out of one of these?
Old 9th April 2008, 12:02 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to guitar_joe
a datasheet perhaps
Old 9th April 2008, 05:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default if i remember

well this should be a driver stk ic mostly used as a driver for a couple of transitors for sansui amplifiers .....

nice circuit ...produces a lot of power but SOA of the all device is way overestimated resulting this b1000 amps to fail quiet easy .....

i have a broken one ,,,,,, never bother to fix it ....if i ever do i will replace trafo to something lower for more safety ....

regards sakis
Old 9th April 2008, 05:06 PM   #4
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

A stereo driver IC rated at 4W (max) 57V (max). Single ended diff input, Vas, and CCS.

Intended to drive high-gain double EF output modules with bias circuits (STK 0050) and triple EF (STK 1050).
Old 10th April 2008, 01:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to guitar_joe
data sheet is here
Old 1st February 2013, 11:03 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Received a PM inquiring about my stash of STK3082's. Upon looking I see they are STK3082II's are they interchangeable? A few years back I seem to remember a site that had all the information about STK packs. I lost this with a hard drive failure. Does anyone remember the link?
Old 1st February 2013, 09:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Received your PM, thanks :-) But, aye, I unfortunatelly need the STK3082 (I). The latter versions lack internal compensation caps and resistors. Chances of oscillation arise when using a newer version, than the original one which your amplifier once had. So they are not fully backwards compatible.

It is possible to add the compensation caps and resistors externally. I already am using a STK3082 III this way, but it is not ideal, so I was searching for a previous version instead :-).

Here is some more info about the different versions:

sanyo chip amps v,II,xI differences
Old 2nd February 2013, 02:27 PM   #8
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

The 3082 has four internal compensation caps in the module, between pins 3-4 (12-13) and between pins 4-6 (10-12).

The 3082 II has only two internal compensation caps between pins 4-6 (10-12).

The 3082 III has no compensation.

The 3-4 (12-13 cap is about 68pF with 470Ω in series with it, the 4-6 (10-12) cap is about 15pF.

It's not that hard to add the compensation your circuit needs.
Old 2nd February 2013, 03:33 PM   #9
sregor is offline sregor  United States
diyAudio Member

Also - adding a heat sink to the driver chip usually helps. They tend to run hot and that contributes to there failures.
Old 2nd February 2013, 05:39 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yup, it is pretty common that STK's will fail. They cause a lot of trouble in many amplifiers after a few years. It is not that the STK's are bad by design, but unfortunatelly many STK's are pushed to their limits which will cause them to fail after a while. More cooling is for most of them necessairy. Additionally here in Holland mains voltage has been raised from 220VAC to 230 / 240VAC. This will cause a STK to degrade even earlier due to an higher applied voltage and thus higher dissipation.

I've added extra cooling and changed the transformer to 240V setting, so I hope the new STK will last longer. But for me adding the compensation circuits externally is not a very professional solution (messy setup, I am a bit of a perfectionist about layout ), although it seems to work fine right now. Also leads in the compensation circuits for version one are much shorter (because this circuit is mounted inside), which will result in less chance of oscillation. Although I think this chance will be negligible, since some amplifier use version III with the compensation circuits mounted on PCB.

Hide this!Advertise here!