2SA1302 and 2SC3281

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As those parts are out of production, it is likely you will get counterfeits - especially from a cheap source. In most applications, the 2SA1943 and 2SC5200 are a direct replacement from Toshiba with very similar specs.

Toshiba power BJTs are available from digikey for reasonable prices.

Watch for fakes...

Hi Chris,

Toshiba stopped producing these some 2 years (at least) ago. The replacements from Toshiba are the 2SA1943 and 2SC5200.

You could you equivalent MJL parts (MJL-1302 and MJL-3281) or even the MJL21193/4 parts. These are sampling at www.on-semi.com if you wish to go that route. Also, www.audiochips.net has the MJL chips in matched pairs for $12 a pair I believe.

I have been stung by fake output transistors building a P68 Sub amp of Rod Elliott design. My report of the amp is here . You should be able to click through from their for pics of my fake transistors (Go through the Electronics link).

Cheers,
Jonathan

I have used both the SA1302 $SC3281, yes they're original part since I bought them at least 5-7 years backand still have a whole bunch of them, fromToshiba and the MJL Series from Motorola. I think the MJL are even better than the Toshiba, more linear. I have tried both in the same circuit and the MJL sound much better. Check MCM electronics, I believe they still have the SA and SC series from Toshiba. For the MJL series, I got them from Newark Electronics. Pricewise, they're about the same but I would prefer MJL over the Toshiba. Hope it helps.

2SA & 2SC -v- MJLs

I have to agree with Mylienho. :nod: The MJLs from ON are better than the 2SCs or 2SAs. Having tested a complete matched set of both in the same amplifier (6 NPNs and 6 PNPs per cahnnel), the MJLs just sounded better. Music seemed to jump out at me :yikes: , while it was rather flat with the Toshiba units. :yawn:

This is not to disparage Toshiba, or call into question their authenticity. But in my subjective opinion, in an A/B test with the output devices being the only variable, my money (or time, since they WERE samples) is with the ON units. :up: My $ 0.02 worth :D

Diode,

The 1302s and the 3281s are still available from ON as samples, or if you want to pay for them, go through Future/Active. Both are still available for $2.88 each. :)

You USED to be able to order them from Active's store here in Livonia (Detroit), but, and this is no lie, Active's HQ called them one morning at 11:30 am and told the mgr (I used to work there and still knew him) to usher any customers out and lock the door. Store Closed- end of story. :bawling:

2SA1302/2SC3281 available at digikey.com

I just checked www.digikey.com; these transistors
are available. In quantities of 10, they are less
than USD 2.00 each. (I was planning to build
more than 2 channels, so I thought 10 seemed
like a good minimum quantity.)

They also stock the newer 2SA1943/2SC5200. I
in fact bought them instead of the older models.
I've decided to risk it and blindly use the newer
transistors wherever the old ones have been
recommended, and see whether the higher Ft
of the newer models cause any problems. (Will
the compensation capacitor value need to be
changed, do you think, in most power amps?)

And I think the jury is still out on the issue of
matching of OPS power transistors. Is it necessary?
Randy Slone (sealelectronics.com) does not
seem to think it is, and I'm going to go by his
research on this one.

Tarun

Imports?

Hi Tarun,
Did you buy your parts through someone in the US and have it carried over or did you order via the web ?
If you did order via the web ( Credit card) what were you charged by the Indian customs. Any idea if there are any value limits here in India for personal imports ?
Thanks.
Ashok.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.