My Dokorder is making Crackling Noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh, Woe is me. My beloved Dokorder 800X is making some light popping and crackling noise when it plays in FM or AM mode. It reminds me of listening to AM when there is a thunder storm in the area.

At first I thought is may be the controls and Pots that are in need of being squirted with more cleaner. So I did that, and it seems to have gotten worse. Sometimes it will go minutes with making any noise, and then it will return again: off and on. It's becoming a nusance, and I know it needs to be addressed soon.

Is it possibly anything worse than the electrical contacts needing more cleaning? Any suggestions are appreciated.

And here I thought Dokorder only made tape decks??

Anyhow, both channels? One channel?

One channel, probably a noisy transistor.
Both channels? Perhaps something in the power supply. Has to be something common to both channels, IF you hear it the same in both channels - however it is possible that devices in both channels are noisy, however the sound should not be occuring simultaneously (sounding like a mono source) if it is two different devices one in each channel.

Heat will usually will set it off, cold usually will stop it.

Otoh, could be bad solder connections on a board, OR bad contacts on a switch. Mechanical faults respond to force placed upon the parts when they are making noise... or can be made to make noise. Use a non conducting probe to tweak things... push and rotate switches, etc...

_-_-bear

bear said:
And here I thought Dokorder only made tape decks??

Anyhow, both channels? One channel?

The 800X is quite rare, and Very Classy. It is my favorite SS receiver. They did make a 900R and 940R(four channel) but I have never seen one in my lifetime. If I could get one, I would grab it just for the collector's value.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Otoh, could be bad solder connections on a board, OR bad contacts on a switch. Mechanical faults respond to force placed upon the parts when they are making noise... or can be made to make noise. Use a non conducting probe to tweak things... push and rotate switches, etc...

_-_-bear

That is what my repair tech told me today. He is finally delivering my Sansui 1000A to me tomorrow, and I am going to hand the 800X over to him to check out. I'm also going to give him another tube receiver too. Probably my old Grommes-Phillips 500 model. It must be pretty rare too, because I have not seen one for sale on E-Bay in the past couple of years, and I peruse the site there in the Vintage audio, and Collectibles Sections.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.