XLR (maybe balanced) and RCA amp inputs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What modestly priced power amps can you suggest:
1. ideally that accept both balanced XLR and RCA inputs?
2. that accept just XLR (doesn’t have to be balanced)? or last
3. 2nd hand (preferably reasonably available here in Aus, and not as expensive as a Bryston - a 4B is $A 1800 2nd hand )?

OR - Plan B – and meaning most power amps would work:
With cables, can you convert XLR to RCA?
(I assume you’d lose the noise suppression advantages of a balanced system – that’s ok, it’s just that my source, being “pro derived”, is balanced).

(Reason: the intended source is a ‘semi-pro’ active xover (dbx Driverack or $US 350 Behringer), whose outputs are balanced XLR.
At present I have two commercial power amps (a Musical Fidelity and a Bryston). Brystons takes either balanced XLR or RCA, so can be used, as is with these super flexible active xovers.

To play with different 3 way xovers this way, requires two more power amps, ideally identical (so that when the xo frequency is changed the sonic differences are not due to differences in amps). Needing two amps increases the need to keep the cost down.
Amps with both types are preferable, so I can use them without the active xover, when the need arises.

TIA

Richard

unbalanced RCA to Balanced XLR

EBtech makes a nice passive converted (bi-directional also) for between
Balanced and Unbalanced. . . .

Unbalanced does not me low-quality. . . .just different levels, impedances, and noise rejection.

Don't be too tight on the $$. . . they buy you the power that you
need.

Chris

Hello,
No I have not. You can hook up XLR via RCA with the correct cable. XLR to RCA biggest problem I've found is finding somethig of quality. You will probably end up building it yourself. In doing this I see nothing gained though. The XLR is designed for pro use and the biggest plus is double shielding, both hot and ground are protected. With in home use I don't see a need for it unless you're having hum issues. If your doing a two channel system and are very concerned about noise by a preamp with XLR outputs and a matched power amp and your set. I was having serious hum issue with a multiple amp configuration in a HT system changed over to Adcom using a good quality RCA cable with a Monster Cable HTS 3600 Line Conditioner and that cured the issue. The bigger Adcom amps use both types of preamp inputs as I stated before, and on the RCA side of things the quality of their connection is superb. Hope this info helps.

:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.