Variation on the JC-2 preamplifier

Eeeh, it's soldered to the 3-Pin Camac (fem) input chassis part ?

Choosing between single-ended or balanced operation meant installing the FB-parts or not.

(the balanced operation compensation C is the green Wima cube smack in the middle of the 4 heatsinked TO-39s, the 1pF CD15 silver mica is on the other side of the 0.68uF pink Roederstein foil cap)

i'll be damned, there they are, i thought i checked every sqr mill of those pictures.
Picture 2587 shows the ferrite bead on the other resistor lead.

Probably means the beads for the compensation network R are under the TO-39 heatsink and consequently not visible.
Explains the input resistors thing in the schematic, doesn't make much sense to remove them for either mode of operation.
Good show, S.A.G.

(poor schematic drawing btw, there's a dedicated symbol for a ferrite bead)

My question is where the -in on page 1 of the Cello Amp schematic should be connected to?

It's only used with balanced inputs, otherwise it should be grounded.

Regarding the negative feedback: I think I could have been more clear on that.

The Cello Encore does not have global negative feedback at all. All the connections from the VAS back to the LTP (input differential) are only frequency compensation. The small pF caps act as a filter well above the audible range somewhere in the lowish MHz-band.

All the best, Hannes

h_a said:

It's only used with balanced inputs, otherwise it should be grounded.

Regarding the negative feedback: I think I could have been more clear on that.

The Cello Encore does not have global negative feedback at all. All the connections from the VAS back to the LTP (input differential) are only frequency compensation. The small pF caps act as a filter well above the audible range somewhere in the lowish MHz-band.

All the best, Hannes

Hi Hannes

Thank you for your advice about connection of -In.
Do you think the input JFets Q1A/B (U403) can be replaced by 2N5566? I am not able to found any information of U403.

h_a said:

From a quick look at the datasheet I would say yes. Same pinout, however less well matched, double noise voltage density. Oh und they have higher gain.

Do you repair an original Cello or do you want to clone one?

All the best, Hannes

Hi Hannes

I like diy so I am going to clone one. But the circuit seems very complicate to a non professional person like me.

Best Regards

jacco vermeulen said:
The Siliconix 2N5566 is a pretty nice device.

Come to think of it, some folks might be interested in a groupy share for a rate that is far out : 2N5566
Last time i checked, Mouser still had a couple at +$75 the pop.

Hi Jacco

2N5566 is not a problem to me. I have 4 pieces which I bought few years ago. I did get a good amplifier circuit to use them until I saw this one.

Most of it is not that complicated. At least the frontend (input differential+VAS) is quite easy - I posted the links earlier where Steve posted explanations.

The output stage is still not fully understood. I still cannot offer help on the output stage since I've been away lately and still don't have time currently to look at it.

The question is, do you want to clone it 1:1 with these ancient, hard-to-get parts, like the 2N5416, 2n6718? They're really old, ancient parts, by the way I agree to the old law

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2357&highlight=

However if you start substituting with new parts, you will have to look at getting back stability. No way around this, so better get a scope. This is also the reason why I didn't post my pcb-layout yet, I still want to incoporate some more compensation features.

However, please let me (us) now what became of your amp! I would be very interested in the results!

Of course feel free to also mail me, if you wish.

All the best, Hannes

h_a said:
Most of it is not that complicated. At least the frontend (input differential+VAS) is quite easy - I posted the links earlier where Steve posted explanations.

The output stage is still not fully understood. I still cannot offer help on the output stage since I've been away lately and still don't have time currently to look at it.

The question is, do you want to clone it 1:1 with these ancient, hard-to-get parts, like the 2N5416, 2n6718? They're really old, ancient parts, by the way I agree to the old law

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2357&highlight=

However if you start substituting with new parts, you will have to look at getting back stability. No way around this, so better get a scope. This is also the reason why I didn't post my pcb-layout yet, I still want to incoporate some more compensation features.

However, please let me (us) now what became of your amp! I would be very interested in the results!

Of course feel free to also mail me, if you wish.

All the best, Hannes

Hi Hannes

I have searched the parts which indicated on the schematic and Mouser has all of them except U403 so that was why I asked if this component can be replaced by 2N5566.

According to Mouser 2N6718 is selling @ $0.50 & 2N5416 @ 0.90. Mouser also has the other parts of this circuit.

I would like to clone the amplifier exactly same as the original schematic therefore your comment and advice on the output stage will be helpful and of highly appreciated.

Best Regards

syn08 said:

JFETs do not have any kind of "intrinsic" transconductance that Toshiba, Siliconix or Onsemi could magically adjust or target. JFETs have essentially two parameters:
- the device geometry (directly related to the Idss) and
- the threshold voltage Vt.

The drain current is related (in saturation, where each and every JFET amp should run) to these parameters by the well known relationship:

Id=Idss*(1+Vgs/Vt)^2

The transconductance is defined as gm=d(Id)/d(Vgs) and therefore:

gm=2*Idss*(1+Vgs/Vt)/Vt

Gm is proportional with Idss, therefore is proportional to the device channel aspect ration W/L, which is a primary design parameter (given a certain silicon doping, which is mostly chosen based on the device breakdown requirements, so it's not an independent variable). Also, gm is inversely proportional with the device threshold voltage which is the Vgs at which Id is about zero (around the threshold the above equations do not apply, so Vt has to be "extrapolated").

Very important & good points, syn08 :)
It may not come as news for John Curl. He has optimized for these things.
He has made sure to get the optimal COMPLEMENTARY in his amplifiers.
Almost before we were born.

Same for Nelson Pass. I can see he is aware and adjust to best performance for complementary JFET pairs.
--------------------------------------------------------

;) I have found out .. on my own.
Because I do not read technical literature about transistors.

2SK170 + 2SJ74 are almost complementary.
At least there is a 'sweet spot' where they cancel even harmonics.

I have found this spot is Not at same VGS for the N-FET and P-FET.
More closer to when the N and P works at same current I-DS.
The practical choice of making Practically this means making both source resistors equal value.
And run this complemntary at same current level.

This also means, that using a potentiometer as divider between such pair, in a 'wrong way',
can create even order distortion of considerable magnitude.

It is easier if I post some figures from my simulation works.
Here is first.
There circuits to demonstrate this fenomena.

And the one to the right, is one solution I use,
to compensate and make them N-JFET and P-JFET work in
Complementary Harmony.

I post the harmonics difference in next post.
Regars Lineup

Attachments

• 2b_cap-comp_sh1_1c64.png
    2b_cap-comp_sh1_1c64.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 2,034
Here is my comparing FFT analys.
Before and after my Capacitor Compensation.
As I call it.

In this case was a difference of -32 dB for 2nd order harmonics!.
But quite often there are improvements at like -10 to -20dB level.
These are very high magnitudes, People!

My CapComp Trick.
This allows for ZERO DC-offset adjustment
and still cancels out even order dsitrtion.
Making the 2SK170 / 2SJ74 Complementary input/pair
work at as low distortion as possible.

A hookup is, that you probably need some distortion measurement device.
Unless there are some mathematical way, by just measuring VGS or whatever.

:cool: ESP has a project to build a THD harmonics analyser.
:cool: Bob Cordell has the definitive THD analyzer building project at his website.

Links:
--------------------------------------
Distortion Analyser
Rod Elliott (ESP)
Updated 23 Dec 2007

http://sound.westhost.com/project52.htm

CORDELL AUDIO
Build a High Performance THD Analyzer

This three-part construction article described a high performance THD analyzer that an individual could build affordably. THD analyzers are traditionally expensive and out of reach for the average DIY audio enthusiast, yet they are indispensable in designing audio power amplifiers and other equipment. The unit described in this construction article is every bit as sensitive as the best commercial THD analyzers, with a THD+N measurement floor below 0.001 percent out to 20 kHz.
http://www.cordellaudio.com/papers/build_a_thd_analyzer.shtml

Attachments

• lineup_jfet-capacitor-compensation_fft.png
    lineup_jfet-capacitor-compensation_fft.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 1,780