paralleling Sanken STD03P/N (SAP16etc.) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2008, 09:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: the Netherlands
Default paralleling Sanken STD03P/N (SAP16etc.)

Dear All.

A question. Since the Sanken STD03 (and the former SAP15,16 etc.) has compensation diodes inside the package, the bias circuit is rather different without VBE multiplier. Makes life easier but what to do if you want to parallel those devices? How to manage the bias? Give every pair an own current source, and an adjustment between the diodes is not the solution I seek for. I know Arcam (P1) and Musical Fidelity use multiple pairs of those Sankenís with only one bias adjustment pot. Stupid of me... I see those amps many times under the hood and never paid attention to it....

Who can help..

Ps: I experiment with those new STD03 devices, and I truly got wonderfull results already. I like simple designs.

With kind regards,
Bas
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 07:59 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: the Netherlands
No one?
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 01:11 PM   #3
smms73 is offline smms73  Portugal
diyAudio Member
 
smms73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Hi Sebastiaan

normally an amplifier with multiples pairs of output transistors only have 1 vbe multiplier.

Use only the diodes of one pair of stdo3 and left the others pairs diodes disconnected (i have never use this transistors, but seems logical).

I have see the scheme of your lme49810\std03 amplifier, and i have some questions for you, if you dont mind... but later.

Best regards,
Sergio.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 02:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
east electronics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Athens GREECE
Default CORRECT ....

but trully how many devices would you like to parallel ??? it is for sure a diferent story if you dlike to parallel 4 or 10 ...
__________________
SERVICE ΕΝΙΣΧΥΤΩΝ ΚΑΙ ΙΑΠΩΝΙΚΩΝ ΜΗΧΑΝΗΜΑΤΩΝ ΗΧΟΥ www.eastelectronics.gr
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 06:31 PM   #5
smms73 is offline smms73  Portugal
diyAudio Member
 
smms73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Hi sakis

Do you mind to explain... the difference between 4 or 10 parallel devices.
the only thing that i can think off, is the thermal resistance of the heatsink.

regards
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:58 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
nigelwright7557's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Carlisle, England
Quote:
Originally posted by smms73
Hi sakis

Do you mind to explain... the difference between 4 or 10 parallel devices.
the only thing that i can think off, is the thermal resistance of the heatsink.

regards

I tend to use an overly large heat sink and a pair of fans on my amps. This reduces the chances of thermal runaway.
I use a PCB case with a fan in the front and the back.
The heatsink is almost the height and width of the PC case.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 01:59 AM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
jackinnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Llanddewi Brefi, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by nigelwright7557



I tend to use an overly large heat sink and a pair of fans on my amps. This reduces the chances of thermal runaway.
I use a PCB case with a fan in the front and the back.
The heatsink is almost the height and width of the PC case.
Janneman from this forum did an article for Elektor (Pax Amplifier) in which he used parallel devices -- per Sanken each pair requires it's own trimpot owing to the different beta's of the pairs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 09:12 AM   #8
smms73 is offline smms73  Portugal
diyAudio Member
 
smms73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Quote:
Originally posted by jackinnj


Janneman from this forum did an article for Elektor (Pax Amplifier) in which he used parallel devices -- per Sanken each pair requires it's own trimpot owing to the different beta's of the pairs.
The output stage schematic of pax amplifier
http://www.linearaudio.nl/paXdocs/pa...20apr%2008.png
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 10:56 AM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
east electronics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Athens GREECE
Default never read this article

but this come in to my mind and that is why i asked how many devices parallel....

crossed my mind ..... i ve seen this greek made sziklai ( with 4 sets of outs per ch.)as i said that the aythor claims that since each output has its own driver the amplifier has amazing driving abilty ....

overkill but imagine if except indepented driver was existing indepented VBE multiplier ....

i cannot even imagine if what i say has any point but just crossed my mind
__________________
SERVICE ΕΝΙΣΧΥΤΩΝ ΚΑΙ ΙΑΠΩΝΙΚΩΝ ΜΗΧΑΝΗΜΑΤΩΝ ΗΧΟΥ www.eastelectronics.gr
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 12:07 AM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: the Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by smms73
Hi Sebastiaan

normally an amplifier with multiples pairs of output transistors only have 1 vbe multiplier.

Use only the diodes of one pair of stdo3 and left the others pairs diodes disconnected (i have never use this transistors, but seems logical).

I have see the scheme of your lme49810\std03 amplifier, and i have some questions for you, if you dont mind... but later.

Best regards,
Sergio.

Dear Sergio,

Sorry I lost my own topic out of sight, but I am back Please ask me anything you want to ask.

With kind regards,
Bas
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB: Sanken SAP15N & SAP15P (or STD03N & STD03P if compatible) dtm1962 Swap Meet 15 2nd May 2009 11:20 AM
Paralleling AMP9 jringels Class D 0 12th February 2007 12:32 PM
Paralleling transformers??? dfdye Chip Amps 10 30th January 2006 05:26 PM
Paralleling LM3886's-the right way jan.didden Solid State 15 4th November 2003 11:59 AM
paralleling mosfets in BLS SteveG Pass Labs 14 7th February 2002 09:20 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:34 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2