ground loop buzz problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys

I have narrowed a ground loop buzz problem in my Media Center set up to the red audio jack (input) that goes into the back of my Onkyo receiver(TX SR604) from aHP1750Y media center type PC.

Can anyone suggest a solution? I have eliminated other potential causes like reversed polarity and the former assortment of various gage extension cords. Now I have everything plug into a heavy duty surge protector. Perhaps the cheap radioshack audio cables I am using is problem. However, I'd rather not throw money at somthing that won't make any difference...

Scott

I suspect that the "problem" is that many manufacturers combine the Safety Earth with the Audio Ground.
When two pieces of equipment connected so are interconnected then there is a ground loop.
I do not recommend altering bought in manufacturers' equipment. It may become unsafe to make any earthing/grounding alterations.

Breaking the loop by using an isolation transformer in the interconnect may be the solution.
From what I'm reading in various threads, PCs and Satellite/Cable equipment seem to be the worst culprits.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.