Carver m1.0t problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
new to the forums!

So, i just sold a working carver m1.0t on ebay. It was received by the buyer and upon setting it up with polk speakers and a carver c-1 preamp (correctly, as they say) and turning it on, it made a loud buzzing sound and smelled like it was burning. He'll be sending it back but now I want to get it fixed.

Any idea of what could've caused this??? He said the packaging appeared to have sustained no damage.

Unless you open it up and look inside what was burning (at a first glance) nobody could help you I guess.

In case you figured out the/all damaged component(s) I might be able to help you because I'm (very) familiar with the schematic of this amp.
By the way - do you have the inverting or non-inverting M-1.0t?

One thing just came to my mind: In which country did your buyer live in???
If you live in the US with a transformer wired for 115V operation and the buyer lives in a country with 230V I'm sure many parts are fryed in your sweetie.
:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :smash: :smash: :smash: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Besides many semiconductors possibly some (if not most) bulk caps are overstressed with excessiv voltage. Is/Was the primary fuse (on the back, right above the outlet for the power cord ) blown?
Well, it's just a guess - and hopefully (this nightmare) will not come true. Otherwise I guaranty it could be a p.i.t.a. to find all (even partly) damaged components.

Actually there's no way (that I know about) to destroy this amp on purpose - no output short or anything unusual that goes through the input jacks could cause a serious (self) destruction of this amp. It's solid and stable like a rock. This is also due to the fact that this amp acts like an old fashioned tube amp with a low damping factor but with much higher output power ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.