i want build an fm tuner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
if you want to build a FM tuner it is much easier to get all the mechanicals down first -- you can purchase a used tuner on EBay (Pioneer, Technics, Onyko, Sansui, Dynaco etc., etc.) and even ship it to Europe for less than it would cost to buy the variable caps (assuming you aren't going to use diodes), power supply, dial assembly etc.

There are a lot of great preamplifier circuits on the ham radio websites, even assembled preamps with much lower noise than conceivable a couple decades ago. Take something from the 2 meter ham bands (144MHz) and reconfigure it for 88 - 108 MHz.

(I still have kicking around a pair of preamps with 6CW4 nuvistor tubes.)

Jack,

Are you (still) involved with Ham Radio?

Seems like it is dying out (unfortunately) with younger generations texting and using all the other gizmos.

jaycee,

Do you think the theory and explanations are outdated too? That would be a shame for the work of such a bright guy.

I hate when that happens!

Regards//Keith

KP11520 said:
Jjaycee,

Do you think the theory and explanations are outdated too? That would be a shame for the work of such a bright guy.

I guess the problem comes when people are shown how to use IC's but not taught the "magic tricks" that go on inside the little black boxes. Younger people like myself also tend to disregard anything using tubes as "archaic" even though the principles may well be unchanged!

I'll freely admit to relying on the "black boxes of tricks" far too often :/

They changed the ham licensing requirements, eliminating the necessity of learning Morse ---- so applications for licenses are booming again. There's nothing like Morse for getting through noise.

I listen in on 40 meters from time to time, and collect Hallicrafters stuff, sold off most of my Drake, Gonset, Heath stuff. Still subscribe to QST and QEX.

I remember when I was a kid, I had a Hallicrafters Reciever with the matching speaker PM-23.

I just don't remember the model. I remember it did 10, 20, 40 and maybe 80 meters. I could also find 11 meters (CB) but had to use the BFO to tune in sideband. It wandered a little with that.

Ultimately, I gave it away for a table and four chairs when I was starting out!

I was interested in Ham but had no support and never got anywhere.

What a shame on both accounts.

If I still had it now though, I would probably trade you for a scope, if you wanted it that is, so it was going to leave my hands one way or another sooner or later anyway.

Hi all
A decent FM tuner should these days be phase-locked controlled tuning with digital frequency read-out.

It should be possible. The problem I see is that the time was when "discrete" IC's could be obtained to do this. TOday, IC's are well able to run in excess of 1 GHz that it ought to be dead easy to find something that can be used as the frequency divider/prescaler for 100 MHz... but no, it seems designers have gone straight to digital filtering and made the whole FM chip into a single design, bypassing those of us who think we should build FM tuners.

Anyone know of prescaler chips still around that can be used?

Cheers
John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.