My MOSFET amplifier designed for music. - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th September 2008, 08:28 AM   #221
lineup is offline lineup  Sweden
diyAudio Member

okay, thanks.
Your amp is a little bit of that and a little bit of this.
But although not much is revolutionary new in details
.... this is one unique amplifier >>>> The Mooly's Musical Blend

The first thing that comes into my mind,
if looking only at your input transistor and feedback arrangement,
is Rod Elliott Project 36 from 1999:
Death of Zen (DoZ) - A New Class-A Power Amp
http://sound.westhost.com/project36.htm

I would recommend any body interested in
How to Develop one Power Amplifier along with testing
to Read all this ESP Project article.
Last updated as late as 2005 .. 6 years after first version.
Old 6th September 2008, 06:44 PM   #222
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

New in details
There's only so many ways to connect them 3 legged things up
Old 6th September 2008, 07:11 PM   #223
lineup is offline lineup  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default The special blend of our amplifier designs

right, moolie
i have said exactly same as you just did
in one post some year back

there is nothing really new in one
Lineup Audio LAB, John Curl, Nelson Pass or Mooly amp

it has all been tried / patented in some paper already .. and many years ago
what is different is the combination .. the special blend
of each designer

this is what our creativity & findings give us
a new blend
and hopefully a good working & good hi-fi sounding mixture

..... Lineup Audio special flavour amplifiers Designs .....

Old 13th November 2008, 06:42 PM   #224
diyAudio Moderator

I think we might have another satisfied customer

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...49#post1649849
Old 19th June 2010, 10:22 AM   #225
diyAudio Member

Hello
It is a interesting amp with laterals .
I just post here to follow these amplifier.
Greets
Old 19th June 2010, 04:17 PM   #226
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

I'm starting to build one. Wondering what will be the difference if the output resistors (0R22) are put on the supply rail (or source pin of the mosfets).

Also, I think I haven't read about tweaking the small transistors' output/emitter resistors (R19/R20/220R) instead of tweaking the R8.

Also, it will be interesting to have the input to become pure symmetrical single ended with another transistor (the n-channel 2N5551).
Old 19th June 2010, 05:32 PM   #227
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I'm starting to build one. Wondering what will be the difference if the output resistors (0R22) are put on the supply rail (or source pin of the mosfets).

Also, I think I haven't read about tweaking the small transistors' output/emitter resistors (R19/R20/220R) instead of tweaking the R8.

Also, it will be interesting to have the input to become pure symmetrical single ended with another transistor (the n-channel 2N5551).
If you are building it Jay, then build it as it's meant to be.
R8 to set the bias, you can use use a pot first, then a fixed resistor/s.
Old 20th June 2010, 03:07 AM   #228
diyAudio Member

Hi Mooly, yes of course I will build it as is. If not how can I compare any modification result? As usual I will build one channel or two channels with slight difference, for example amount of supply rail capacitance, cap type/brand, bridge type/brand, basically different implementation but still the same circuit. I will use the best channel for further comparisons.

I have almost a thousand of 2N5401/2N5551 I bought when I built the Stochino. Many of them have a very high hfe. I will put the highest hfe on the output drivers (Q6/Q7).

I have seen your post regarding splitting the front-end supply, and this driver is grouped with the output mosfet. I think the key to many mosfet amp is the driver itself. That's why I prefer the output mosfet is taking it's input from the emitter of the driver.

Long time ago, with the main objective to take the output from the drain of the mosfet (drain follower) based on the assumption that the capacitance will be minimized, I tried to find a configuration that also enable proper drive of the mosfet. For the drive I decided it has to be an emitter follower. This will affect the number of gain stage. The only usable topology (cannot be more complex) was the one similar to the simplified SKA posted few months later. That's why I didn't understand when it was said that the SKA was something new??? May be the detailed circuit.

Since then I temporarily "concluded" that if I want to build a drain follower from the lateral mosfet, I have to build something with the SKA topology.

But the way you appreciate the musicality of your amp and also the way you do the tuning made me want to build this amp. Even more when Hugh encouraged to do so. This is because I believe what djk has posted:

"I have found 90% of people cannot hear in the audiophile sense, and of the 10% that can, 90% of those pick the worst unmusical sounding gear. The 1% that could tell whether something was musical never seemed to have any money. I would describe the APT as uncolored, but lacking in dynamics, lifeless."

And also Carlos comment:

"Fourty years researching and having not too much idea that "what" makes a good sound!"

So when I have finished with this amp, don't expect me to give a comment regarding the quality of the sound
Old 20th June 2010, 04:04 AM   #229
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

There's really only one question to ask with audio equipment.

When playing the most emotive, engaging music you like, does it make your foot tap and a tear roll down your cheek?

If yes, then you have an amp which is not damaging the music, and permitting you to engage with the performers. In my experience, speakers and even CD players do not damage the musical engagement, only the extremes of frequency.
Old 20th June 2010, 04:52 AM   #230
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSA View Post
There's really only one question to ask with audio equipment.

When playing the most emotive, engaging music you like, does it make your foot tap and a tear roll down your cheek?

If yes, then you have an amp which is not damaging the music, and permitting you to engage with the performers. In my experience, speakers and even CD players do not damage the musical engagement, only the extremes of frequency.
Ah-ha! I completely agree with the engagement/emotion characteristics. But I don't agree with the speaker as having less effect. But... it is probably because you can afford to have the best speakers in the world.

To me speaker is the most important factor and it should be seen as part of the amplifier. Yes you can easily enjoy the music with the involving sound of tube amps, but what if the amp cannot drive the speaker, or the speaker is the efficient type, built with no filter. Yes, you can enjoy the music but at the end of the day you will have red hot ears...

Also it is difficult to get the real impact of live music with small woofer, and tweeter that cannot be driven with full power (without fatiguing peaks)...

Add/Edit:

I think this is why Mooly have always asked the speakers used by his amp's builders when they report the sound of this amp. I found that the preamp is very important (and a necessary evil) for driving class-B mosfet amplifiers. It should be seen as part of the amplifier also.

Last edited by Jay; 20th June 2010 at 05:09 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!