My MOSFET amplifier designed for music

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
can i use +/-65vdc for this amplifier? do i need to modify something to used this supply thnx!

Hmmm... thats high.

The basic topology would be fine. The VAS transistor and its current source would need different devices as their max rated dissipation would be exceeded. Perhaps TO126 types on small heatsinks for these. The laterals would be OK but the extra voltage means they are are going to see their dissipation rise so using 2 pairs per channel would be necessary. It would perhaps make sense to go to the 200V ones available from the likes of SEMELAB and Exicon/Profussion.

On any amplifier, when the supplies increase things start to get hot very quickly.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Mooly, I noticed the 0.22 watt series resistor in the output - reason being?

Hi Nico
Two reasons.
One was to supposedly emulate the higher output impedance of valve gear. The other was that 0.22 ohms alone is pretty much sufficient in itself to isolate the amp from capacitive loads (cables etc) even without the use of an output inductor although in the final design I included both.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
For all you LTSpice addicts here are some files on the amp.

1Khz 1watt
1Khz 70 watt
20Khz 1 watt
20Khz 70 watt
CCIF 19+20Khz intermodulation test
CCIF 19+20Khz intermodulation test
Ripple rejection

Attachments

• M1 LTspice Files.zip
    32.2 KB · Views: 577
Hi Nico
Two reasons.
One was to supposedly emulate the higher output impedance of valve gear. The other was that 0.22 ohms alone is pretty much sufficient in itself to isolate the amp from capacitive loads (cables etc) even without the use of an output inductor although in the final design I included both.
Did it live up to the expectation? You also limited the Damping Factor but some attach lesser snake oil to it.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Did it live up to the expectation? You also limited the Damping Factor but some attach lesser snake oil to it.

Absolutely :) I've always been totally happy with the overall subjective performance. You can experiment and tweak ad-infinitum but this amp does what the design brief set out to achieve. It makes music and never fails to delight on that score.

Enjoy :D