Modifying a 5.1 Receiver (Insignia NS-R5100)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, this is my first real post besides the Introduction. I haven't dealt much with home theater 5.1 receivers, but I have this idea in my head for a specific application. I figure that it has 5 identical amplifiers (subwoofer is just a line level output). I want to use it to run 2 sets of speakers, just like the A/B speakers on a normal stereo. No use for the Pro Logic rear calculations... just stereo mode for me.

My speakers are 8 ohms, but the back panel of the receiver (it's an Insignia NS-R5100) labels the terminals as 6 ohms being the minimum impedance, so parallel speaker connections wouldn't be very proper. And I'd rather make use of 4 amps (left, right, surround left, surround right) than just 2 (left, right). One obvious solution would be to use the 5.1 discrete RCA inputs and send my source deck into 4 channels, but then I lose input switching.

Can I easily wire it so that the left and right (presumably line level) signals coming out of the Pro Logic decoder are split into the l/r/ls/rs amp stages?

Thanks for your help.

You could re-route the amplifier input signals, but doing that you would lose 5.1 functionality., unless you put in a switch/relay or something.

Some receivers have what is called "matrix mode" for stereo inputs, which basically sends the L --> FL/LS and R --> FR/RS. You may want to look into that, is if it can do it, then no modifications would be required whatsoever.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.