Rotel RMB1048 110V 230V conversion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI there,

I purchased a Rotel RMB1048 amp from the US and live in south africa where the voltage is 230V. I see there are jumpers inside the amp label labled 110V and 230V. At present the 110V jumper is soldered in.

Can I just remove this jumper and solder it into the 230V position to convert the amplifier?

Any Ideas would really help.

Tom

Rotel RMB1048 110V to 220V

Thanks for the reply.

I moved the jumper to the 230V position and powered the amp.

For my own safety I put a 250V/2.5A fuse in the cable suppyling the power to the amp.

This fuse blew immediately. The transformer tests ok so do damage has been done. :)

Could itbe that the amp draws more than 2.5Amp on power up.

I noted that the amp has a 10amp fuse wire in series with the power switch and thus am tempted to put in a larger fuse.

Any ideas

Tom

The fuse rating should generally be half what it was for 110V. You might be best using the series lightbulb trick to make sure there is no damage to the amp.

If the amp truly does support 110/230V there will be at least 3, possibly 4 sets of primary wires from the transformer. If there are only 2, it doesnt support it.

Rotel RMB 1048 110 to 230v convertion

Hi,

Rotel were very help full and gave instructions on how the conversion should be done.

In addition to moving an internal jumper to 230V there are a couple of wires that must be swopped around. I think these are on the primary side of the transformer.

Seeing that I did not do the second part the amp is damaged and I have to take it in for repair.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway. In future get instructions from the manufacturer before attempting anything.

Regards
TOM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.