Cheap, small, and easy to build (pcb) amp for studio?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As the title says, I'm looking for a small, cheap, easy to build quality amp that is suitable for studio work. Since I'll be listening in nearfield, I probably do not need any certain amount of power. I'm sort of a novice, and therefore would like designs with pcbs already availabe to purchase someplace.

I'm not sure if the gainclone has PCBs available, but it sounds like that'd be up my alley. My only problem is that I read it is hit or miss with some different speakers. Anyone have input or reccomendations?

Thanks.

If you want PCBs only (and acquire the rest of the parts yourself), the ESP site is probably what you're looking for. www.sound.au.com
Rod has LM3875 "gainklone" boards there, as well as discrete designs. I recommend the P3A design.
I don't know about the "Gainklones hit or miss with different speakers" thing. I quite frankly don't believe all the hype about these things. They make for good amps, they're easy to build. A year ago on this site the general consensus was that these things were awful and they tended to self-destruct, taking your speakers with them. Now (from some) they're better than an Aleph, and they're all the rage. Sheesh!
I used Rod's LM3875 boards to retrofit an old Sony V-FET amp, and it sounded pretty good. I had the opportunity to compare the resulting amp with Rod's P3A design, which I built for myself. The P3A sounded better, to me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.