Check my layout pls. for proper grounding (6 channel opamp pre)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please have a look at the grounding in my first attempt ever to make a proper layout. It´s ment for a 6 channel pre with LM4562 dual opamps and has 2 stages (buffer to the left, gain to the right). The space between the stages is for a 6 channel stepped attenuator fitted directly on the board. Power connector is on the outer left, ground traces are marked in purple.

Is the ground duct alright that way? Thank you for your comments!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I think that especially that one should be separate from the opamp decoupling.

Try having a separate trace to the PS for the decoupling, and a second one common for the signal, in a star-like fashion.

High-current ones like power supplies and output ground (in power amps) need to be separated from the low current ones, like signal reference traces.

Do I have to think of the signal star ground that any (on input as well as on output) connection has to have a seperate trace to the star point? Or does it do when the ground connections of the respective opamp are going to one point and the latter to the common star point?

Star ground in theory really means that all connections are meeting at one physical point, but that is nearly never done completely.

I think that the general practice is to do it as often as possible, but for more complex circuits you would probably have to use 3 or more layers to achieve it.

The problem is that when you use more star ground-like connections you have better chance of perfect function and no noise, but you can´t really tell how the circuit will perform with standard ground like in the LM4562 preamp you posted.
You just have to try the design by building it and seeing/listening what it does. Then you can cut&re-wire the traces to see if it helps :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.