Complementary vs NPN / NPN

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some time during 1972 - 1977 nearly all amps went from having NPN / NPN output stages (like 2x 2N3055s) to PNP / NPN complementary configuration. I assume this had a lot to do with availability of new, high power PNP transistors (like 2N2955) but what are the benefits of this newer set up? I presume Popular Electronics and similar magazines ran articles on this subject but I have been unable to find any.

I will appreciate any insight on this matter!

When PNP devices with characteristics similar to NPN power devices became available, it was possible to build complementary symmetry push-pull output stages - both the devices could be operated as emitter-followers in Class-B (the most common topology) or both could be operated common-emitter with drivers of the opposite polarity (CFP/Sziklai). In either case, symmetric operation helped to bring certain kinds of distortion under control, and also simplified the driver stage topology in certain cases.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.