Negative feedback?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've heard a lot of things about negative feedback but I don't understand how you can reduce noise more than you can reduce the signal. If you inject part of the output into the input again, you are reducing the noise, but at the same time, the signal. So when you crank the signal back up, isn't the noise there too? Where exactly does the noise come from?

For this amplifier I tried to build, I had an NPN/PNP pair with emitters grounded (first stage). The first stage NPN's collector was tied to the secondary stage's PNP's base whose emitter was on the + rail. The opposite was true for the negative rail. In other words, both stages were common emitter (inverting). The first stage was common to ground, the second stage, one the NPN was common to the - rail and the PNP was common to the + rail. Both stages combined formed a non-inverting amplifier, so how could I use NFB in a situation like this? How could I get global NFB without using op-amps?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
NFB

You could put a NFB loop from the emitter of the last stage to the base of the input stage, but it is not strictly global.

To use global NFB you need another inverting stage, which is easy: base to collector of last stage, and give it equal emitter and collector resistors, so its gain is 1, but the collector has the inverted signal. That can be fed back to the input.

Jan Didden

Solid Snake said:
I've heard a lot of things about negative feedback but I don't understand how you can reduce noise more than you can reduce the signal. If you inject part of the output into the input again, you are reducing the noise, but at the same time, the signal. So when you crank the signal back up, isn't the noise there too? Where exactly does the noise come from?

You can't reduce any noise, therefore it's important to make the first stage low noise and it must amplify so much so the amplified noise is less than the noise created in the secnd stage.

Feedback can't handle noise, sorry.

Hasn't Texas got a large document, very wellwritten about feedback?

Can't find it right now but here are lot's of info.

http://dspvillage.ti.com/docs/catal...eId=&toolTypeFlagId=&viewType=&applicationId=

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Re: Negative feedback?

peranders said:

You can't reduce any noise, therefore it's important to make the first stage low noise and it must amplify so much so the amplified noise is less than the noise created in the secnd stage.

Feedback can't handle noise, sorry.

Hasn't Texas got a large document, very wellwritten about feedback?

Can't find it right now but here are lot's of info.

http://dspvillage.ti.com/docs/catal...eId=&toolTypeFlagId=&viewType=&applicationId=

Per, beg to differ, fb can handle noise as long as it is generated inside the loop. Anything inside the loop is reduced with the fb factor, noise, thd, temp drift, you name it.

Jan Didden

Sch3mat1c said:
You know, despite the >40dB (probably 60) NFB in my SS stereo (Onkyo TX-2500), it is still incredibly noisy (part of why I don't use it). Makes me wonder........
Feedback isn't the medicine. Feedback can't make the noise go away but you can increase noise by poor design. You can also get more noise with bad parts. I got evetially very much unregular noise in my old LF357 based preamp. I had bad sockets but the chips had turned bad. Maybe the heat had something to do with this?

If your amp allways have been noisy it's one thing but has the amp become noisier by the time it's probely someting which has been worn out. Bad electrolythic caps, bad chips? Old chips can absorb pollutions and this can create bad behavior, irritating noise. Plastic package isn't totally tight against enviromental things.

Hi,

The dominant source of noise in an amplifier is usually the input stage as already mentioned. Overall NFB reduces the overall gain (closed loop gain) of an amplifier. Thus you can say because of the reduced overall gain of the amplifier due to the NFB the noise generated by the input stage is less amplified. The noise itself can’t be reduced. That’s all.

:cool:

This is an explaination I found on a site:

For one thing, the inverted feedback is, while reducing the original signal by a factor determined by the network, also reducing itself to a very great degree. To put it mathematically, if the distortion is 10% of the output signal and the output signal is 10 volts, then the distortion is 1 volt. If the input signal is 1 volt, then the gain is abviously 10 (actually it is a bit more. I think the formula stipulates a +1, for an actual gain of about 11. this is why I say the inverted signal is about 0.9 volts). The feedback network is reducing the ouput by about a factor of ten. So, the inverted feedback is getting a signal of close to probably about 0.9 volt including the 1/10th of the distortion that is only 10% of the output, or 0.09 volts. This will then reduce greatly the distortion at the output.

I think what he's trying to say is that when you feedback part of the signal, the input signal fights the inverted signal, but there is nothing to counteract the noise in the NFB, so the inverted noise is much greater than the normal signal, greatly reducing it???

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Pjotr said:
Hi,

The dominant source of noise in an amplifier is usually the input stage as already mentioned. Overall NFB reduces the overall gain (closed loop gain) of an amplifier. Thus you can say because of the reduced overall gain of the amplifier due to the NFB the noise generated by the input stage is less amplified. The noise itself can’t be reduced. That’s all.

:cool:

I don't know where you guys all get the idea that noise can't be reduced, but that's wrong. Noise isn't very special, just something that is generated in amp stages just like harmonics due to THD. Same with DC offset, temperature drift, etc. NFB reduces it, IF it is generated inside the FB loop. NFB cannot reduce anything outside the loop, where it has no control, be it noise, THD, etc.

Jan Didden

Hi Jan,

Maybe I was not that clear in my post. I intended to say the noise of the input stage itself can’t be reduced.

In general when you have a chain of amplifiers the noise of the amplifier stage that is most amplified in the chain dominates. In most amplifier chains this is usually the noise of the input stage. On the OUTPUT the noise is reduced by the amount of overall feedback when applied to such a chain. And an audio amp is usually a chain of amplifier stages. The noise of the source itself is not reduced by NFB, only the effect of it at the output. Same holds for distortion in the chain.

It is just basic textbook electronics. Indeed, I think we are on the same line.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.