JLH Quad esl's amplifier version

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi ,

I am looking to build this modified version of JLH ss class A amplifier . I am tinking about assembling it on a perforated board ,has anyone made amplifier on perforated board ? Any downside to it in term of performance ? I would prefer to avoid dealing with the capacitive problem involved with pcb tracks and components placements . If someone has made a pcb for that amp, that works , I am willing to offer retribution for a layout . I will most certainly seek for more info or comments on this design.

thanks in advance.

Michel

I assume that you are referring to the recent addition to my website. For those who have not seen the new page, it can be found at http://www.gmweb.btinternet.co.uk/index.htm

I can probably obtain a copy of the pcb design that was used for the original amps, but if you wish to use perf. board then there should be no problems. I have used veroboard for all my JLH amp construction and have not yet had any difficulties, though I use the copper strip solely for fixing the components and run separate solid copper wires for current carrying purposes.

Lay out the components on the perf. board in the same sort of order as the schematic, keeping the input and output at separate ends of the board - a couple of inches (50mm) or so apart is sufficient. Connect the power supply leads and the decoupling capacitors close to the output transistor connections. Provide a separate earth return for the clean (signal) earths and the dirty (eg decoupling capacitor) earths.

Let me know if I can help further.

Geoff

Yes, like Geoff reports, veroboard is fine to build your JLH. Did one off these JLH's almost two years ago with this board. I use this for all my amplifier projects. Just finished an ALEPH3 same way. I use 1 millimeter silvered copper wire to realize the traces. This is the same wire used to make small HF coils and it works like a charm. For traces that carry high currents you can use two parallel runs.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.