MOSFET power follower project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ilianh said:
Hi,Anyone ever did this project?

Any feedback would be highly appreciated.
I can't seem to find those irf350 anywhere, anyone knows any replacements?
Could be good for a triamp system
And what MOSFET power follower project
do you mean?
Any special, yours or from some website?

/halo - is not a mind reader ;) - but suspect it has something
to do with a website

The lower the current rating of the fet, for the same current the further up the transfer curve you work it where it is more linear, away from the bottom where it is a big curve. The curvy part means distortion. Monster size fets runnning at low current make more distortion.

/Circlotron - doesn't practice what he preaches. :cannotbe:

Ilianh said:
Anyone has any ideas how much power can Ciuffoli's Power Follower output on 8 ohm?
and ayone knows how good are power followers of this kind when the output impedance is 4 or 6 ohm?

It will depend from rail voltage and bias current.
It will work well into 4 or 6 ohm but you need to feed more current accordingly.

Here is an approximate calculation for different loads

Attachments

• follower99.gif
    follower99.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,757
Power follower type has a low distortion figure. Anyhow, many high-end builders do not appreciate this type of amplifier. The reason is that the overall sound is “dull”. An argumentation to defend this design might be (from my opinion) that this amplifier doesn’t color the sound. It just “passes” the signal from the source. So, you must be very careful in choosing your pre-amp. I guest a bipolar design like Bride Of DOZ will do a great job.

Hmmm... I think you will be dissapointed with the result

With my system, this is what I felt:

1. BOZ + Power Follower 99.
By bypassing the BOZ, I didn't need a volume control. I prefered to do this even I didn't get the sound details (you must know what I mean)

2. BDOZ + Power Follower (Pavel Macura).
I prefered this than the previous settings.

3. Aleph is better.

My other choice is actualy making a ZEN amp.

Wich can give around 10 watts, the problem is that the part of the speaker i'll be driving with that amp will have a mid thats 6 ohm, and a tweeter thats 8 ohm.

I'm not sure if 10 watts will be enough, and I read here
http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/zenamp.pdf
that the zen output power decreases when using speakers with impedances lower than 8 ohm..

Is it possible to play with the bias current to avoid that?

3. Aleph is better.

you are probably right, but an aleph would cost more too... I only need around maybe 15watts for this system.

If you think you need 15W, 10W won’t make any difference.

As long as you need only to hear your system from inside 4X4m room, even 4W can be enough, especially if you have efficient speaker. With more than 30W, the sweet spot for the bass might be outside of the room.

Sure you can increase the power (with bias current, rail voltage, Aleph “feedback”), with the price of power dissipated as heat.

With Aleph current source (Zen4 also use it), impedance is not an issue. And this current source will fulfill your power requirement.

I enjoyed my Zen more than Aleph. And it was not expensive. Be economical on the capacitance of the regulator.

I'll biamp this system, the bass is on another amp.. the mids/tweeter section will run on this zen or follower, theres nothing under 500 hz comming from it.

drivers aint that efficient.
not sure how much... but not in the 96db/w/m range for sure

I think I'll go with BOZ and a zen amp..

IRF350

Hi Ilianh,
I am the author of the project, so let me tell something about replacement transistors. You can use IRFP350 (the same as IRF350, but in TO-247 case), or IRFP250.
I would not recommend IRF540 and similar transistors in TO-220 case. The reason is that TO-220 has approximately twice higher thermal resistance compared to TO-247 and you can easily get to the thermal troubles. Please visit my original page for newest info.
Compared to ZEN the Mosfet power follower sounds and measures better. It has lower distortion, higher damping factor and higher input impedance than ZEN. MPF is also able to drive difficult loudspeaker loads, the ZEN suffers from low damping factor.
Pavel

peranders,
Nothing special. It is the same question as "what are the benefits of building ZEN instead of a ordinary amplifier?"
It is a simple project for the beginners in electronics and it has very reasonable parameters. That's why I have done it. And it gives better sonic and measured results than the ZEN amp, it was my answer to the ZEN.
Pavel

While I haven't built pavels follower I have built a MOSFET power follower amp (derivation of Andrea's). And I can say that it has a very "transparent sound", with a BJT preamp it sounds very different than with a tube stage in front, I very much enjoy mine.

IRF240/350 alternatives in output stage

hi, i've just finished making one of PMA's MPF with DoZ preamp as the voltage amp.
i had some spare irf540s and used one of them in the amp.
i haven't listened to any valve amp yet, however, there's no doubt MPF's output is better than any solid state amplifier i've ever seen and made and heard. its dynamic range is clearly way better than national's lm3886 amps i made some days ago. and EVERY element of any kind of music sound stunningly real! to be truthful i feel immobilized when it's on and making some sound! like found the holy grail of amps! :) thanks a lot to PMA for it.
now what i have been the problem is that i've searched for irfp240 and irfp350a but didnt find any here.
please tell me whether there are more alternatives.
thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.