Power Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have a Nad 320 and B&W602S2. I would like to use this combination with two power amps.
Something like dual-mono or monoblocks DIY kits to use with Nad320 as a Pre-amp.
Those power amps should be good to use as powers in a future HomeCinema sistem 5.1 or 7.1.
Thanks

Hi cristiano,

I’m not sure I got your question. But…

NAD 320 is not “suitable” for cinemas. NAD has their THX line, which is good.

You need another amplifier in addition to the NAD C320? You cannot bridge this NAD C320 to be mono, but you can do bi-amping, and use the NAD C320 to drive the tweeter section (Don’t know with your B&W, but at this class, it must support bi-amping). In my opinion, NAD is better for the bass section, but for your future cinema plan, I think 40W is too low.

If you planned to use the pre-amp section of the NAD 320, well, I would say that you would prefer to use the amp section with another pre-amp.

NAD has a dedicated pre-amp (C160?), designed to be matched with their dedicated amplifiers (C270, C370). These dedicated amplifiers are in the same class with C320 (only with higher power). And that pre-amp (C160) is much more expensive than C320. Conclusion? Yes, the pre-amp section of NAD 320 is not in the same class level with it’s amplifier.

Thanks Jay for you repply.

I think that you did't understand me because of my English.Sorry.
:)
What I need is:
-I would like to build two power amps to work now with my NAD_320(use it as Pre-amp).
This power amp, that I whant to make now, should be good to use in the future with a processor for a HomeCinema sistem.
Thanks
CRIS

Ok I understand what you want to do.......

I have built the Slone 80watt (8ohm) low distortion amp kit and it sounds simply superb, much better then my quad 77 integrated and that cost £700 new in the UK. If this is your first DIY amp I would start out with something simplish like the amp I built (my first amp project too). I will say one thing though these amps ARE class leading designs that will compare and may surpas even the most expensive designs available on the market. Your c320 I have read about in What Hi-Fi? here in the UK and they rate it very highly, I think they even gave it an award as with the B&W speakers, very good in their own league. However not that this should put you off, on the contrary you will be able to build the power amps and never have to worry about upgrading your amplification again. You will have an amp that will be like a comercial design up there with the best of them costing maybe £2000-5000 (i could be shooting off the mark here but I dont think so) so you wont fully get the benafit of your "new amp" through your current speakers. You would probably need to go up into silly money speakers to get the full benafit ont he other hand DIY your speakers save a bomb and get much better sound. My speakers are my own design and after going down the DIY route am never going to buy commercial again, what a rip off. I dont know about the size of your room atc and what you intend to do with homecinema in the future. But I would say that seven of the amps I built with the main speakers I've built and suitable matching varients for surround that you woulnt need any more power then 80watts. If you have a room the size of a swimming pool then you would need more oomph, however I dont think you would have the B&W's you have if you did them being small standmount etc.

If I were you I'd build the Slone amp I did (design 11.4 in the high power construction manual) use a passive preamp to bypass the nad and see what you think. Then go on from there. You may find that instead of homecinema you would prefer to get your main stereo system up to high standards first then go multichannel. If you really meant that at the next step you would go multi then this is likely not to be what you would want to do. But bare in mind that seven amps you build is still gonna be quite expensive. With all the powersupplies heatsinks and cases.

But as a final word DO diy DON'T commercial buy!

The AKSA 100s would be fine in this role; they have 32dB sensitivity which means you can also drive them direct from source if you interpose a level control.

The kit includes power supply filter caps, heatsinks (one per channel, each 300mm long), ultrafast diodes, and power supply pcb, as well as the amp modules. You need only buy the case and the transformers (you'll need 2 x 300VA toroidal).

Cheers,

Hugh

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
AKSA said:
The AKSA 100s would be fine in this role

Hugh's amp is a good one. And a nice compromise between buying something off the shelf and doing a DIY from the ground up.

You get most of the parts you need from one source (all but the heavy stuff which can be sourced locally) and most important for a 1st amp -- there is tech support.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.