Custom-colored amplifier components - good idea or no?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A friend of mine has developed a coloring process for chrome that allows him to get some AMAZINGLY vivid color effects onto chromed surfaces - even if the base material is plastic. His website is temporarily located here until his domain name comes online, in case anyone wants to see samples of the chrome work.

I talked him into trying the process with bruhed aluminum, and this is what resulted from a test with a piece of low-grade off-the-shelf sheet stock:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The center is the raw material, the left is a red-to-gold gradient, and the right is gold-to-blue. (The colors are nowhere near as vivid in the picture as they are in real life. The gold looks orange, for example.) Not visible in the image is the fact that it's a candy-effect - the colors change slightly with light type and angle.

He was asking about possible applications, and I said "hey, there's this message board where people discuss homebuilt audio gear - they might be interested."

Should he pursue offering custom coloring services to the DIY audio crowd?

oO

SY said:
Yes! That way, we can have pointless arguments about whether the blue-to-gold face plate causes the sound to be degraded compared to the red-to-blue.

This is actually pretty nice work. If it can be done reasonably, he'll find a nice little niche market among DIYers.

Hahahahaha, yeah, I can see it now! :D

Actually, he was testing gradient effects - even colors are not a problem and it takes work with a sharp knife to damage the finish.

As for doing it reasonably, he said that if I posted this here to let everyone know he's wiling to discuss doing such coloring work on folks' gear if they're interested. His # is on his site on the order page.

Personally, I have no idea what he'd charge since it's a by-the-job thing I'm sure, but I want him to do my portable amp when I get the chassis for it built.

oO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.