Crown Delta Omega DO2000 amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Folks!

For years i use Crown amplifiers in PA systems and at home. I started with a DC300A series II, a PSA2 and now i use a Delta Omega. This stuff is terrible for high end audio purposes at home but for my sub (JBL B15) it is a great amp. To be complete, a crossover (Ev) and a Classé CP400 and two Dynaudio 2.5 make the set complete.

I wonder if any of the board members can share information on the Delta Omega. Even at crown vintage they don't have info on this monster.
This amp has a (switchable) feature called "velocity controlled amplifier. IT is a feedback system where the current to the load is measured. It can be altered to positive, neutral or negative feedback.
A diagram would be great!

I can share pics etc, and have the owner manual. I also made modifications for the input sensitivity and the power switch. When you have strange power conditions it might not come up. So i rewired the solide state relais to the 15V power supply.

Let's see what comes up!

Is this the 10kw amp that runs on 3 phase 208 VAC? If so I may have some info as I used to work on them. The same amp was used in the gradient drive system of an MRI system. Would only put out about 50V RMS, but would go down to a few tenths of an ohm. It was possible to derate them after a mod to run them on single phase 208/240V.

The DO2000 is not the same as the 5Kw. In fact the DO2000 is a mono amplifier, buid between the famous DC300A series and the PSA2. So the power transformer is the same as the DC300A, but there are two. The skinplate is the same color as the last DC300A series. But the cooling is a tunnel with the small plates system used in the PSA2 and later micro- and macrotech series.

This amp uses also the same power transistors as the DC300A. Only there are 32 of them.

Crown never used the "velocity controlled amplifier" technologie in other amps. I think it was not a commercial succes, although a similar system can be found in active speaker systems in the hifi world.

And about the DC300A, A separate thread about this special amp would be apropriate. It deserves the honor! I think there are mods for this amp. But be carefull, if you mess to much it will get instable.

d3imlay said:
Is this the 10kw amp that runs on 3 phase 208 VAC? If so I may have some info as I used to work on them. The same amp was used in the gradient drive system of an MRI system. Would only put out about 50V RMS, but would go down to a few tenths of an ohm. It was possible to derate them after a mod to run them on single phase 208/240V.

This would be the Macro-tech 10000 that was used in MRI machines. 10 kilowatts into a .25 ohm load

I have heard rumors for years of a Macro Tech 40,000 that Crown had either built, or builds for industrial purposes. But i have never seen one.

Crown also sold/sells amps under the Techron brand name for industrial use and Amcron outside of the US.

Dear Arnold,
The schematics of this amp is on the website from Crown Amcron
The name is DO2000. Check it out!
Discontinued Amplifier Products

I did not know that.
But I had a terrible copy of it years ago.

Stil happy with your Delta Omega?

My first experience was a real eye opener.

I had 2 really small very bad tandy full range speakers.

But connected on the crown with avc it was astonishing.

But it seems not many people are able to adjust and connect it correctly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.