Cyrus 2 Phono stage - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2008, 06:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Cyrus 2 Phono stage

Hi all,
I own a Cyrus One v07 since more than 10 years, I could not sell it when I bought my Micromega Tempo 2 since it is of such good quality. Now I am looking for the schema of the Cyrus 2 phono stage which is said to be better than the one's. In the meanwhile, I also bought a Cyrus Tuner v06.
Even if I designed a simple phono stage for the Tempo (based on the famous LT1028), does everyone have the schema of the Cyrus 2 phono stage ? I Had a look through all the posts concerning Cyrus amps - I got so many from you all, thanks ! - but I could not find what I am looking for.
Of course I have some knowledge in electronics, and I have seen that the improvement sould be done relatively easily.
Many thanks by advance... and apologies for my bad frenchy english !
Laurent
Old 10th January 2008, 06:21 PM   #2
Geoff is offline Geoff  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Laurant

I reverse engineered the Cyrus 2 phono stage some years ago. Email me and I will tidy up my rough sketch and send it to you.

Geoff
Old 10th January 2008, 09:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Dear Geoff,
I remember having read very much from you in the forums.
Unfortunately I am new to diyaudio and I am not allowed to email you because I am under moderation.
Perhaps we can find an arrangement with a moderator.
Again, I thank you for your help.
Cheers from Annecy !
Laurent
Old 11th January 2008, 12:30 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Laurent

Go via my website. There is an email address on the home page.

Geoff
Old 11th January 2008, 02:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Geoff,
Thank you ! I could not resist having a short look on your schematic.
Roughly, I would answer that C5 is "only" (what is hidden by "only" ?) a linking to the RIAA correction which follows because of the similarity between MC and MM input stages. Then if C17 and C5 have the same look then I would try C5 = C17 = 1u... I think that R15 and R29 seem only to be an input adaptation for the following RIAA corrector.
Besides this, I wonder if replacing the wired switch with a simple (gold plated) pin connector + jumper would be better, since we do not change the phono cartridge so often.
I expect having soon some time to mount and test this implementation. I'll give results as soon as I test this.
Cheers,
Laurent
Old 11th January 2008, 03:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lfournier74
Besides this, I wonder if replacing the wired switch with a simple (gold plated) pin connector + jumper would be better, since we do not change the phono cartridge so often.
The slide switch used on the Cyrus1/2 is not exactly high quality so anything is likely to be better. When I still used vinyl, I removed the switch completely and just had wire jumpers on the pcb but there again I only had one cartridge and so didn't have the need to switch from MM to MC.
Old 31st August 2009, 04:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Well... some time has gone but now I equipped my Cyrus One with the components so that is has now a true Cyrus 2 phono stage... and it seems to work really fine !
Besides this, the summer holidays gave me enough time to desing a PCB for my Micromega Tempo2, based on this nice preamp. I woud like to thank Geoff once again for his helpful schema (but there is a small mistake in this schema which makes the MC part not work as expected).
I also replaced the slide switch with small wires and good contacts. For sure this is a cheap enhancement.

Hide this!Advertise here!