transformer amplification amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2008, 01:38 PM   #1
damianl is offline damianl  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default transformer amplification amplifier

I thought i saw an amplifier here somewhere that uses a transformer for amplification rather than transistors. Am i correct? If so could i have links please.

Thanks
Damian
Old 10th January 2008, 01:44 PM   #2
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Do you mean this one Zero Feedback Impedance Amplifier ?
Although you can use transformers for amplifying the voltage, since you can't get somegthibg for nothing, you still need current amplification..
Old 10th January 2008, 02:05 PM   #3
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

Take any decent self-contained, unity gain output stage with a high impedance input and (typically) high localized feedback, and hook a Lundahl LL7905, driven this way. That's it, no simpler VAS available. Simple and elegant, low noise, galvanic isolation, EMI-proof, though a bit costly (the xformer).

- Klaus
Old 11th January 2008, 09:19 AM   #4
damianl is offline damianl  Australia
diyAudio Member

SO what i am looking for is an amplifier incorporating an audio output transformer rather than transistors? i am interested in building like this and how they sound.
Old 11th January 2008, 02:40 PM   #5
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by damianl
SO what i am looking for is an amplifier incorporating an audio output transformer rather than transistors? i am interested in building like this and how they sound.
I will still have transistors - just less of them. You can do a good job with just *two*. How will it sound? Probably a lot like a push pull pentode tube amp.

I've got an idea - if you use both input and output coupling transformers couldn't you just do away with the power transformer? 500 volt hexfets are cheaper than a power transformer, aren't they?
Old 12th January 2008, 09:59 AM   #6
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

"I've got an idea - if you use both input and output coupling transformers couldn't you just do away with the power transformer? 500 volt hexfets are cheaper than a power transformer, aren't they?"

The output transformer to go less than 60hz will be bigger than a 60hz power transformer, and much harder to design for the broad bandwidth required for an output transformer.
Old 12th January 2008, 10:08 AM   #7
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Re: transformer amplification amplifier

Quote:
Originally posted by damianl
I thought i saw an amplifier here somewhere that uses a transformer for amplification rather than transistors. Am i correct? If so could i have links please.

Thanks
Damian
If it amplified a POWER, it would actually be a candidate for a Nobel prize.
Old 6th March 2008, 08:45 PM   #8
Vlauga is offline Vlauga  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

I have thought up the amplifier with the passive transformer amplifier of voltage already about fifteen years ago. Several years ago published it scheme at this forum, but nobody has paid attention)))

Click the image to open in full size.

My amplifier since then have repeated many people. Which consider, that my amplifier sounds definitely better, than the best tube amplifiers on greater tubes like WE211.

The description how to do the amplifier is to the address of. In the end article also it is told, how most to make for it the transformer, the power supply and the device of a delay of connection of loudspeakers.

Calculation of the step-up transformer for the First stone ©Ul'yanov

The article (In Russian)))

P.S.I know, that I the genius))) And not because of this amplifier)) Because I know, whence we, people, and what for))))
Old 6th March 2008, 09:39 PM   #9
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

I'm with you, Vlauga, I'm with you, because your schematic exactly realizes what I have proposed in post #3, in a very simple and elegant way. There are not many VAS stages easier and better than a good transformer.

Clever schematic, I like the (passively) boostrapped diamond buffer. The input "grid" choke is also very rarely seen in solid state designs, although it has many advantages.

Probably it didn't gather much attention here because of two things:
1) most solid state designers are somehow afraid of iron in the signal path,
2) it will not qualify as a "low distortion amplifier" when tested with textbook measurements.

For those interrested I babelfished the article web site:
http://72.30.186.56/babelfish/transl...irst_stone.htm

- Klaus
Old 7th March 2008, 01:09 PM   #10
Gordy is offline Gordy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vlauga
I have thought up the amplifier with the passive transformer amplifier of voltage already
Vlauga, I saw your amplifier some time ago and thought that it looked very interesting. It is on my list of things to try "when I get the time".

By the way, what are G11 to G14?

Hide this!Advertise here!