Best sounding DIY SS amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2003, 12:36 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best sounding DIY SS amp

Just out of curiosity, what is the best sounding DIY SS amp?

I was looking into Pass Labs, but I cannot afford to build one of those. The parts would be a little much, but affordable. Heat sinking is what would kill me.

I am looking for a fairly simple, great sounding amp what can be built on its own one channel board, and then have power run to it from another board. The idea is to make 5 to 7 of the amps and make it an HT surround amplifier for use with a 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 surround processor.

Just something to keep me busy...
Old 23rd February 2003, 09:12 AM   #2
hifiZen is offline hifiZen  Canada
diyAudio Member

Gainclone. Great sound (apparently... I have yet to build one), simple, and ridiculously cheap. Maybe a bit too easy though...
Old 23rd February 2003, 09:36 AM   #3
halojoy is offline halojoy  Sweden
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally posted by hifiZen
Gainclone. Great sound (apparently... I have yet to build one), simple, and ridiculously cheap. Maybe a bit too easy though...
I will build 4-6 TDA2050 amplifiers.
Will be an active bi- or triamp system.
Gives like 20 good sounding watts, with good bandwidth for low money.
90 mA idle, class AB, for no crossover distortion.
Max 2x25 Vdc supply.
20 Watts 8 ohm, 30 Watts 4 ohm.

/halo - thinking money, simple but good
- active is the way
Old 23rd February 2003, 04:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I will look into the Gainclone...

For this project, I will be etching my own boards and putting them all in large box (well, a neat looking box lol) with some sort of power supply- maybe separate for each running off of one 110VAC cord, if possible. Similar to a design like Klipsch Aragon amps, just not 200Wx7.
Old 23rd February 2003, 08:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi!

Also consider Project 3A from ESP (www.sound.au.com). Since heatsinking and supplies are not so over-the-top if compared to class-A-amps, they will be cheaper to use.

If you make your own boards, you could probably get six - seven of them into a 19" chassis with heasinks as sidepanels...

But GC is also an option, virtually no heatsinking is required (if compared to class-a-amps)...

Bye,

Arndt / still waiting for his TI samples to arrive... GC with BB... and much more...
Old 23rd February 2003, 09:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Check out www.Sealelectronics.Com
Old 23rd February 2003, 10:04 PM   #7
blmn is offline blmn  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Or checkout Douglas Self 's designs.

There is a PCB supplier for the projects called Signal Transfer, if I remember well.

regards
Old 24th February 2003, 01:08 AM   #8
mb is offline mb
diyAudio Member

Default Include the AKSAs on your list

You should definitely include AKSA from Aspen Amplifiers on your list! AKSA users have reported their AKSAs are replacing Audio Research, Krell, their own JLH class-A's, etc. FYI, there's an AKSA group at audiocircle.com. There is less noise these days about the power amp (AKSA), and more posts about the preamp (GK-1), mostly because the AKSA users are still so happy with their power amps...
Old 24th February 2003, 03:40 AM   #9
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

The Sealelectonics kits just mentioned seem to be largely derived from principles set forth in Doug Self's books and articles. There is nothing with thatr at all, I just mention it since if you are in North America, seal may be more practicle to deal with. Also the owner, Randy Slone, is very helpful. You can quite a few variations on his amps in his books.

If you are going to go to the extent of making your own boards, readinf Slones books in conection with one of his designs may be helpful. It may be possible to "cherry pick" one of the variantions that best suits your particular needs.

--------------------------

Also, check out www.marxhandelec.com for yet another option.
Old 24th February 2003, 06:46 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Include the AKSAs on your list

Hi!

Quote:
Originally posted by mb
You should definitely include AKSA from Aspen Amplifiers on your list! AKSA users have reported their AKSAs are replacing Audio Research, Krell, their own JLH class-A's, etc. FYI, there's an AKSA group at audiocircle.com. There is less noise these days about the power amp (AKSA), and more posts about the preamp (GK-1), mostly because the AKSA users are still so happy with their power amps...

Be aware that AKSA is just a slightly changed Project 3A from ESP... i think it was developed (contract work) by Rod Elliot, but I could be wrong with that. But even when looking at the PCBs for AKSA and P3A you will notice the resemblance...

So, if you are able enough in DIY, you will get the same as AKSA for less by building P3A...

Bye,

Arndt

Hide this!Advertise here!