5.1 amplifier for me - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2007, 02:31 AM   #1
bitravi is offline bitravi  India
diyAudio Member

Unhappy 5.1 amplifier for me

can anyone help me in building a good 5.1 amplifier with easily available component ,i want to add a remote to the project.If project is on pic then pls help me.
I want to build entire project on transistors not o ics.
i have already made speakers with 3 way active crossovers but could not build a matching amplifier.there are lots of amplifiers on the web but in my local market only 2n3055,2n2955,irf540 & irf9540type transistors are available.I started building elektor hexfet amplifier but it costed me a lot as hexfets are not stable in the circuit.
i need a sweet sounding circuit which can drive the (5)3 way satelite speakers.
subwoofer amplifier is ok ie:200 watt bipolar from sam electronics.
Old 31st December 2007, 04:03 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to linuxguru
IMHO, except for the fronts, the remaining satellites can be simple full-range units - 3" full-range drivers are perfectly adequate for the purpose. Even for the fronts, a good full-range like the Pioneer BF20FU20 'Bofu' with a small helper tweeter coupled with a simple passive crossover should be adequate.

Regarding the amp, there are a great variety of inexpensive imported 6-channel amplifiers, both new and pre-owned, that are available on the market today, so there's not much point in DIY for a 6-ch home-theatre amplifier. There's much more value in building a low-distortion, high-end, two-channel stereo with the latest ideas in circuit design and topology - check out the Symasym, RMI-FC100 and various other projects on this forum.

BTW, the 2N3055/MJ2955 pair is highly dated for high-quality audio use - it has an fT of <3 MHz and hfe is not very linear with Ic (it was original designed for high current switching/servo/solenoid control etc., not audio use). For high quality audio applications, try out a recent Toshiba output pair like the 2SA1943/2SC5200 or 2SA1987/2SC5359. Both of these offer excellent gain linearity, fT ~= 30 Mhz, and very good Safe-Operation Area (SOA) - and are fairly inexpensive at around Rs.50 each in Bangalore (there are a lot of fakes, though - always inspect the devices carefully).

Hide this!Advertise here!