Need clue. R speaker static when low volume, fine loud, headphones fine. . . Help?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, I'm in need of a clue.
I have a Technics SA-5370 with a slight illness. . .

The right speaker will play static at low volume.
It plays just fine if loud.

When playing only headphones, its super-clean
However, if I turn the speakers on, the right side plays static at low volume or just fine if loud.

I don't know where to start looking for the problem.
Any ideas?

Generally the volume control position when using headphones will be higher than it would be for using speakers because headphones aren't as efficient and the headphone jack on the receiver has a resistive network to lower the level to the phones.

What I was thinking is that the control might be dirty in the lower end and by moving the volume control to a higher position it might very well be in a clean portion of the control what would result in no static.

That's a good thought, but the problem isn't that simple.
This noise sounds like an "un-compressor" or like the amp is having a difficult time getting voltage or getting voltage through something.

Although Technics 5370 was high quality in its day, that was in the year 1976.

Specifically, it seems that the more power coming from the preamp section, going to the amp section, the clearer the signal.

Also, running speakers at low volume involves freakish uncompressor/ decoupler failure / bad contact type noises from the right side speaker.

Opening her up and hunting potentially bad electrocaps, wasn't working out for me, because they're from 1976 and all potentially suspect. So, I need a clue or some tips about the most likely place to start hunting for this specific sort of problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.