Omitting "emitter" resistors in power stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building on a power amp.

It will use a CFP, and I'm thnking on omitting the usual "emitter" resistors (0.1 ohm) (here it's actially collector resistors.

Thay are quite bulky, will generate distortion.

Guess they will help stabilise bais curent (and make it easier to ajust ... measure voltage drop over these resistors)
They will also limit the current somewhat and might also act as fuses in a fault situaion.

Any thoughts?
Anyone tried this?
Any comments to sound or measurements?

Seems that the AKSA amps do not use these!

Kind regards Baldin

PS. A Merry Christmas to all :santa2:

Hi,
a single pair of CFP output devices can be used without emitter resistors. It's more usual see the CFP without.

If you require to double up the output devices, or more, then you must use emitter resistors for each device.

I think the CFP drivers always have emitter resistors.

Baldin

The emitter resistors need not be bulky. In my present amp there are 3 parallel output transistors in CFP configuration. Each emitter resistor is made up of 2x0.22R 0.6W resistors in parallel. A subsequent iteration replaced these with 0.1R 1W resistors. At these low power ratings one is still able to use non-wirewound types.

Greg is correct.

I do not use the CFP configuration in any of my amps.

I do however use 0R47 output emitter resistors.

The higher this resistor, the more stable the bias, and the lower the quiescent current for a given crossover disjunction.

By all means try the CFP. Very elegant, but very tetchy, and can be difficult to prevent oscillation in Class AB.

The double emitter follower is an excellent start point.

Hugh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.