Preamp kit. Dantimax maybe? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2007, 03:52 PM   #1
Delaney is offline Delaney  Denmark
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Preamp kit. Dantimax maybe?

I'm looking for a preamp for my new Trends TA-10.1 amplifier. I prefer it to be of small dimensions, have 3-4 inputs and a remote control. I would like to build it myself, but being new to the whole diy-thing, i consider a kit a good starting point. I've looked at kits from Dantimax, who sells both a passive (Remote3) and an actice preamp (RemPre). I'm happy with the output level of the Trends, so no gain is needed. I have two questions:

1) Are preamp kits from Dantimax recommendable? Or should i look somewhere else, within the pricerange ($200-$300)?

2) What are the pros and cons regarding passive vs. active. Is there any reason for going active, when i don't need the gain?
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2007, 04:33 PM   #2
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Zen Mod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ancient Batsch , behind Iron Curtain
Default Re: Preamp kit. Dantimax maybe?

Quote:
Originally posted by Delaney
I'm looking for a preamp for my new Trends TA-10.1 amplifier. I prefer it to be of small dimensions, have 3-4 inputs and a remote control. I would like to build it myself, but being new to the whole diy-thing, i consider a kit a good starting point. I've looked at kits from Dantimax, who sells both a passive (Remote3) and an actice preamp (RemPre). I'm happy with the output level of the Trends, so no gain is needed. I have two questions:

1) Are preamp kits from Dantimax recommendable? Or should i look somewhere else, within the pricerange ($200-$300)?

2) What are the pros and cons regarding passive vs. active. Is there any reason for going active, when i don't need the gain?

even if I'm not in that sort of amplification - I can recommend Dantimax products ;
I know man behind operation for pretty long time ( several years ) and he's certainly man of expertise

to my knowledge - you can easily use passive version , because T amp have enough gain
__________________
my Papa is smarter than your Nelson !
clean thread; Cook Book;PSM LS Cook Book;Baby DiyA ;Mighty ZM's Bloggg;Papatreasure;Papa... by Mighty ZM
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2007, 09:01 PM   #3
Delaney is offline Delaney  Denmark
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Re: Preamp kit. Dantimax maybe?

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen Mod



even if I'm not in that sort of amplification - I can recommend Dantimax products ;
I know man behind operation for pretty long time ( several years ) and he's certainly man of expertise

to my knowledge - you can easily use passive version , because T amp have enough gain

I'm happy to hear that you recommend Dantimax. Does anyone else have any experience regaring said company?

Regarding passive vs. active; I've read that if you choose to use a passive preamp, your preamp->amp connections shouldn't be too long. This doesn't clarify the issue for me. What are considered too long? 3"? 30"?
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2007, 09:04 PM   #4
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Zen Mod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ancient Batsch , behind Iron Curtain
Default Re: Re: Re: Preamp kit. Dantimax maybe?

Quote:
Originally posted by Delaney



..... What are considered too long? 3"? 30"?

that really depends of driving capability of your source ;

with decent output stage - CD can drive even 2m cables
__________________
my Papa is smarter than your Nelson !
clean thread; Cook Book;PSM LS Cook Book;Baby DiyA ;Mighty ZM's Bloggg;Papatreasure;Papa... by Mighty ZM
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 06:43 AM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
analog_sa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sofia
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Preamp kit. Dantimax maybe?

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen Mod



that really depends of driving capability of your source ;

with decent output stage - CD can drive even 2m cables

Yes, but what can a 10k pot drive?
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 10:29 PM   #6
Delaney is offline Delaney  Denmark
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Preamp kit. Dantimax maybe?

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen Mod



that really depends of driving capability of your source ;

with decent output stage - CD can drive even 2m cables

My CD is a NAD S500. The cables from CD to preamp will be around 1m. (Does the length of source->preamp cables really matter?) I'm planning to place the Trends TA-10.1 right next to the preamp, keeping the preamp->power amp interconnects below 0.5m. This means that the speaker cables will be about 2-3m. But this shouldn't be a big deal, right?
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 02:24 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Project St. Pete
I can recommend Dantimax Remote3 kits as a way to get singers in your living room nightly. I love mine.

In fact, I am in the process of writing a T-amp/Fostex/Dantimax system review, which is incredibly good and incredibly cheap.

Will post soon.

- Matt
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 05:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Portland,Oregon
Blog Entries: 4
Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Default Re: Re: Re: Preamp kit. Dantimax maybe?

Quote:
Originally posted by Delaney

I'm happy to hear that you recommend Dantimax. Does anyone else have any experience regaring said company?

Mikkel is a good guy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 01:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Im still wailting for my parts!
nearly been three weeks.
Hope Mikkel answers my email.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WELL...... Dantimax certainly isn't a scam ! Zen Mod Swap Meet 0 27th November 2008 07:03 PM
Dantimax scam? Kooka Swap Meet 12 27th November 2008 06:30 PM
dantimax rev3 help Bengali Everything Else 2 9th October 2008 09:47 PM
Dantimax based Preamp LightwaveDude Parts 6 28th December 2006 12:43 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:20 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2