Preamp kit. Dantimax maybe?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a preamp for my new Trends TA-10.1 amplifier. I prefer it to be of small dimensions, have 3-4 inputs and a remote control. I would like to build it myself, but being new to the whole diy-thing, i consider a kit a good starting point. I've looked at kits from Dantimax, who sells both a passive (Remote3) and an actice preamp (RemPre). I'm happy with the output level of the Trends, so no gain is needed. I have two questions:

1) Are preamp kits from Dantimax recommendable? Or should i look somewhere else, within the pricerange ($200-$300)?

2) What are the pros and cons regarding passive vs. active. Is there any reason for going active, when i don't need the gain?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Delaney said:
I'm looking for a preamp for my new Trends TA-10.1 amplifier. I prefer it to be of small dimensions, have 3-4 inputs and a remote control. I would like to build it myself, but being new to the whole diy-thing, i consider a kit a good starting point. I've looked at kits from Dantimax, who sells both a passive (Remote3) and an actice preamp (RemPre). I'm happy with the output level of the Trends, so no gain is needed. I have two questions:

1) Are preamp kits from Dantimax recommendable? Or should i look somewhere else, within the pricerange ($200-$300)?

2) What are the pros and cons regarding passive vs. active. Is there any reason for going active, when i don't need the gain?

even if I'm not in that sort of amplification - I can recommend Dantimax products ;
I know man behind operation for pretty long time ( several years ) and he's certainly man of expertise

to my knowledge - you can easily use passive version , because T amp have enough gain

Re: Re: Preamp kit. Dantimax maybe?

Zen Mod said:

even if I'm not in that sort of amplification - I can recommend Dantimax products ;
I know man behind operation for pretty long time ( several years ) and he's certainly man of expertise

to my knowledge - you can easily use passive version , because T amp have enough gain

I'm happy to hear that you recommend Dantimax. Does anyone else have any experience regaring said company?

Regarding passive vs. active; I've read that if you choose to use a passive preamp, your preamp->amp connections shouldn't be too long. This doesn't clarify the issue for me. What are considered too long? 3"? 30"?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Preamp kit. Dantimax maybe?

Zen Mod said:

that really depends of driving capability of your source ;

with decent output stage - CD can drive even 2m cables

My CD is a NAD S500. The cables from CD to preamp will be around 1m. (Does the length of source->preamp cables really matter?) I'm planning to place the Trends TA-10.1 right next to the preamp, keeping the preamp->power amp interconnects below 0.5m. This means that the speaker cables will be about 2-3m. But this shouldn't be a big deal, right?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.