TA7317 protection board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With the TA7317 you can use one IC to monitor two channels and their completely isolated from each other.

On the soap box now.....:smash:

I would think that everyone would want one of these circuits if not in their amplifiers then on their test bench to monitor the amplifiers they are working on.

This protection IC's operation is very fast and it is scalable to provide the amount of DC protection that you want before it triggers the relay circuit. It can also be run off virtually any amplifier even if the supply voltage is high by using voltage dropping resistors and a zenier diodes.

This is a decent circuit that can be made at a fraction of the cost of purchasing a kit like a Velleman. The velleman works fine but doesn't allow for the precise DC adjustment that one might want.The Velleman also has the relay contacting the speaker load until it senses a DC fault and this is not good to have since any pop or noise will go to the speaker.

This is an opportunity to provide protection to your costly speakers or to provide a operational tool for the bench at a minimal cost.

Jump on the wagon and lets see if we can generate enough interest for a group buy.

burnedfingers said:
With the TA7317 you can use one IC to monitor two channels and their completely isolated from each other.

Excuse my lazyness...

Does it have seperate input pins for the channels or are the inputs mereley seperated with resistors? ... (the reason I made mono protection modules)....

The NEC chip typicaly seperates the siganls with 56k resistors... in my book enough for some cross contamination...

Nordic said:

The NEC chip typicaly seperates the siganls with 56k resistors... in my book enough for some cross contamination...

If this were line level monitoring where the impedance is 10k or so, I could see the potential for cross talk. However we're looking at an impedance across the inputs of 8 ohms or less, that is isolated by 56K. Essentially it's a voltage divider of 8 ohms and 118K (2 X 56K). I wouldn't think that would pose a problem.

I'm skeptical of the TA7317 because the limited data sheet I've seen calls out a split power supply versus a single supply for the upc1237. It has one advantage of dual inputs. There is also a lot of comments and curves about stable operation and a mystery discharge circuit. It would be nice to have the full 11 page data sheet to understand more about this chip.

Does it have seperate input pins for the channels or are the inputs mereley seperated with resistors? ... (the reason I made mono protection modules)....

The TA7317 has separate pins for input. One for each channel.

The TA7317 also needs a B- and B+ supply instead of a single supply.

I'm skeptical of the TA7317 because the limited data sheet I've seen calls out a split power supply versus a single supply for the upc1237. It has one advantage of dual inputs. There is also a lot of comments and curves about stable operation and a mystery discharge circuit. It would be nice to have the full 11 page data sheet to understand more about this chip.

With all due respect here..... This IC has a proven track record in the Altec model I mentioned as well as others I could drag into here. This circuit has worked flawlessly except for the problem I already listed. It would certainly work fine in a Gain Clone or any SS gear with only a voltage dropping resistor and diode per B+ and B- leg. It would also work fine with tube gear with some minor adaptation to power it.

The circuit has a lot to offer in my opinion.

burnedfingers said:

With all due respect here..... This IC has a proven track record in the Altec model I mentioned as well as others I could drag into here. This circuit has worked flawlessly except for the problem I already listed. It would certainly work fine in a Gain Clone or any SS gear with only a voltage dropping resistor and diode per B+ and B- leg. It would also work fine with tube gear with some minor adaptation to power it.

The circuit has a lot to offer in my opinion.

Maybe "skeptical" is the wrong word. I'm not questioning it's history and reliability. If I am about to design a circuit for a group buy, I want to have all the data on the chip to avoid problems in other applications.

The three page data sheet that is found on the web is incomplete. The German site has a lot of good info, but is still not complete. I don't believe that this chip has the ability to latch in the off state like the upc1237, something I find very desirable. I've tried to figure out a way, but I think it would compromise the design. Finally what's all this stuff they talk about concerning stability?

It won't latch up like the UPC1237 will. I have never seen an instance where a latch was needed. Typically when a condition arises you don't see the protection go in and out. I have repaired 100's of amplifiers with different faults and NEVER run across this. Either the amp works and the protection is off or the amp has a fault and the protection is on. When the protection goes on I will unhook the speaker load and hook up a dummy load and proceed to find and correct the problem.

I don't think there is much interest in any board or group buy by the people here on this forum otherwise there would be more that would offer suggestions and ideas.

1). Personally I like to input two channels without a summing input.

2.) I don't need it to latch

3). I like the ability to have 2 channels and one relay on one board instead of 2 boards and 2 relays in other words twice the parts count.

I want to have all the data on the chip to avoid problems in other applications.

How much more data is needed? The engineered circuit has been used in many amplifiers as is. Please explain other applications as I don't understand what I am missing here.:bigeyes: Please educate me so that I can see what I am missing.

After reading another thread mentioning the Velleman unit I dragged this one back from the dead. it would be nice if we were able to scare up some interest in a diy type of protection board.

In my personal opinion a board with one of the chips mentioned might be the ticket. There are a few protection circuits out there but none really offer the protection that would be considered close to this one.

sorry to channel jump this thread but it may be of interest. I have a suspected Dead TA7317P and thought a discussion about a test method would be interesting. the amp had an output device fail and i think it took the TA7317 with it. the amp channel is repaired and works but the amp wont come out of protect. not sure why. everything seems to be normal. So i have the 7317 out of circuit now and thought i would breadboard up a quick test jig. suggestions on how to do so?

Zc

well..I posted too soon. after reading many of the post's pertaining to the TA7317P i went back and rechecked the capacitors around the circuit. all measured within 10% of there marked value. IE 1uf was 1uf, 22uf was 22uf etc. but i figured what the heck i will just replace them anyway and what do ya know! now it comes out of protect on its own! bad capacitors strike again! Bugger!

You can't beat the UPC1237 for anything within it's voltage rating. for higher AC/DC voltages circuit modification is required.

Elliott Sound published an excellent article that provides everything a person needs to know including relay application which is largely misunderstood/misapplied by most designers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.