Bipolar discrete shunt regulators - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2009, 08:09 AM   #121
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steenoe
This is the latest schematic. Still needs the last few changes to be added.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...72#post1733072

I would change Z2 to an LED, and R5 to an LM334 CCS (with 12 ohms as set resistor). This does limit Vin to 40V though, if that is a problem, make a provision to put a zener in series with the LM334.

RV15 is the trimpot. I would just use a fixed resistor here; the absolute Vout is not critical and the resistor can be easily calculated.
What I haven't checked, but what I would put on the new pcb, is a resistor from Vout to the top of the reference zener. That way, we could get some current into the zener that is independent from the current through the error amp Q3. Q3 current varies with load and (a bit) with input ripple so keeping the zener current relatively independent helps also. Don't know how big the effect will be, but worth a try.

Jan Didden
Old 5th February 2009, 08:22 AM   #122
GK is offline GK  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by Onvinyl

That shouldn't be too though, especially with a shunt reg, since a shunt reg splits the loops (raw supply and regulated supply) quite effectively.

I agree. That's what I way trying to show in that LTspice sim. Even a rudimentary layout with just one straight ground and power track can be arranged such that PSR is pretty much a non-issue.

The effective reduction in output impedance due to the earth return currents from the load are an other issue though!

I've actually layed out and built that regulator, layed out from left to right as drawn in the schematic with just a low impedance top and bottom ground plane. PSR tested as good as expected. In theory the output impedance isn't as good as it could be with elaborate star point earthing, but this is irrelevant in my case as for the intended application the load only draws a dynamic current of about 50uA.

Layout considerations depend a lot on the application.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 5th February 2009, 02:15 PM   #123
syn08 is offline syn08  Canada

Guys,

I really want to understand what's the reasoning for building such a discrete regulator. I understand how they work, I have simulated their performances (and they seems to be decent) but I have not build and measured one.

However, I have simulated, build and estimated the performances of the parallel regulator in attached schematic. The measured results are really very, very good, beyond what I think it will ever be needed for audio and BTW, they match the simulations within 25% (or at least that's how much I bothered to look into). Note that this is a completely not optimized design, I haven't even bothered to try a current source or other references beyond a LED. BTW, the output noise is comparable to the Jung serial regulator.

To compare with the discrete version, I'll put in the next two posts the PSRR and the output impedance for a +30V version (mine are +/-17V).

I'll let you compare the performances and the complexities/sizes/costs. Again, beyond a) limited to 30V output and b) not that much fun to deal with, I don't see much of a reason why one would build the discrete version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg par_reg_sch.jpg (23.3 KB, 2993 views)
Old 5th February 2009, 02:20 PM   #124

Default Psrr

Opamp is THS4031. Vertical scale is PSRR in dB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg psrr.jpg (93.8 KB, 2165 views)
Old 5th February 2009, 02:21 PM   #125

Default Output impedance

Injecting current at the output. Vertical scale is the output impedance in ohm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg output_impedance.jpg (96.1 KB, 2038 views)
Old 5th February 2009, 02:44 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

I agree that there are millions of ways to skin this particular cat. But, being diy, I often enjoy discovering and building stuff, even if in some far away corner of this universe there may be someone who can do me one better.
It's the enjoyment of finding out and getting it to work that counts for me and for a lot of other people in this thread.
I would be disappointed if this design keeps on swaying to and fro without actually getting done!
Let's stick with the original design, finetune it, and getting it going. As a reg, it'll be pretty good and worthwhile your work and mony.

Jan Didden
Old 5th February 2009, 03:12 PM   #127
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

Jeez, Ovidiu, your reg is depressingly simple

As I always distrust the computer, maybe you find time in a bored moment to post some measured numbers. If that toy comes close to a Jung/Didden in the real world, I'm deeply impressed.

So much simplicity demands being used in the next project

Have fun, Hannes
Old 5th February 2009, 03:21 PM   #128
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Alan Wright

Super Reg
Old 5th February 2009, 03:52 PM   #129
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

Schematic?

Seems his site prefers selling his stuff, no schematic. It's ok, but then I don't understand your reply

Have fun, Hannes
Old 5th February 2009, 04:20 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman

Let's stick with the original design, finetune it, and getting it going. As a reg, it'll be pretty good and worthwhile your work and mony.

Jan Didden
Yes, we will do that...

I have troubles with my IP so some emails have not gone thru, will take a couple of days to organize work.

Hide this!Advertise here!