Dx Precision, finally released... now debugged and better than HRII - Page 103 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2008, 07:12 AM   #1021
Stuey is offline Stuey  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by billabong
Good point Nordic.

I've almost convinced myself to try the Black Gates first. I'll still order the larger Nichicon UHE caps -just in case.

billabong.
Hi Billabong,

Where do you source Black Gates from?

Regards

Stu
Old 12th May 2008, 07:24 AM   #1022
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by taj

That sounds like my speed. (ms = milliseconds right?)

..Todd

Don't make fun of me, I have been swimming in snot for a week now... I have a terrible flu..
Old 12th May 2008, 10:47 AM   #1023
Vivek is offline Vivek  India
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I am considering building the Precision I. However, getting certain transistors in India might be a little difficult. Could anyone give me alternatives for 2n5401, 2n5551, 2sc4793, 2sa1837? And will using alternatives have any effect on the final product?

Thanks,
Vivek.
Old 12th May 2008, 11:46 AM   #1024
diyAudio Member

Default Vivek.... the alternatives will produce differences in sonics if you have the belief

inside your mind that there are bad mood transistor and good mood transistors.... in my mind, if they can oscilate (work) into the frequency you are injecting on them 10 Hertz to 20 Kilohertz, if they can hold the voltage you are installing on them....if they have reasonable gain, not so different than millions of other models...if they can hold the current you will need for them..if they can dissipate the heat you will have there..... if they are NPN when you need NPN and PNP when you need a PNP..... i am sure they will work.

Some of them reproduces a sligthly bigger LEVEL of treble...but for sure they have no mood and behavior.... they use beta factor to amplify what you put into it's input and have not bad mood day to work bad monday and return tuesday happy andd working great!

Of course...they have better linearity points, where will work better, but even this way will not be linear, and this is normally half the maximum voltage...or, at least, if you put half or it's maximum voltage they use to operate in a very good way.

MJE15032 and it's complementary can be used to drivers and voltage amplifiers.... also can be used to rail regulators, also to the VBE multiplier position.... there, into the VBE multiplier position, where you have the bias adjustment and thermal sensor, any NPN can be used, as will work as thermical sensor and a resistance only... something alike a diode, a zener with 2.520 milivolts of voltage...not critical.

To the input, all transistors you can find in the forum schematics and web schematics, the ones operates with 50 to 60 volts into the supply may work fine..... believe me, i have tried BC556 and BC546 without problems there. (input has rail voltage and not rail to rail voltage... and has not swing of voltage)... also to the output you have hundreds of possibilities..... there you will need 10 amperes of maximum current, 150 volts of VCE and a complementary pair, to audio frequencies or for switching purposes.... power units in the brand, or model you can find in your country.... Those old Big MJ transistors can be used too.

The question, in the reality, must be returned to you Vivek:

- " Do you believe different transistor models will sound different?"

If you answer to yourself, very intimatelly, this question and the answer was yes... then do not try to substitute any part... search for other schematic that has easier parts to be found in India or into to your Internet components providers....because...if you have this belief and try to use other parts.... you will ALWAYS having suspection that the sound can be worse than the best sittuation.... because the transistor is not the same.... and this has effects.... you will start to feel the sound is not the best possible...will feel sad, unsafe and this is not good...better not to try.

As i do not believe on that...i use to substitute all my transistors to something i have at hand...and i never found any differences...because i am not expecting for them...and if they existed, i had not focused my perception and have not engaged my criticising mechanism on that.

You people said that happyness means do not have desires....not to want things....because this do not bring happyness and make you sad....not having the desire to listen the sound of the heaven, you will be more happy and more satisfied.

If someone put inside our mind that our wife is betraying us.... she can be alone inside her room, and you will have always suspections the guys have flyed througth the window...that he was already under the bad, or locked inside the closed,or have invisible power... also she could get out flying out from the windows, or using hopes, or the guy is a fire man and will use aluminium extendable stairs to her.... and the worst thing...you may believe she is betraying you with her mind thinking on others.... this is our problem....our beliefs turns reality... this is the base of the fate.

regards,

Carlos
Old 12th May 2008, 11:48 AM   #1025
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

In other words it would make less diffirence than changeing the speakers....
Old 12th May 2008, 11:59 AM   #1026
diyAudio Member

Default Yes... into the speakers you have the most critical point

Can match or not with your amplifier... there we have problems... a lot of problems... a very old "air pump".

If you try to make a movie of a speaker moving...using high speed techniques, using many frames each second, and them watch that "terrible thing" moving, distorting, you will gonna see how bad those things are.

The coil, for sure touches the magnet producing noises...the diafragm turns so distorted that you may be afraid of it.

Magazine SUONO... the Italian one... the best i could read in my whole life into the eigthies, have published images, also thermal images... if you give a look at them...immediatelly you will stop to worry about amplifiers.... and this because they can make all destructions possible into the sonics..but they will never do such a mess as speakers can do.

The most clever folks...produces speakers together their amplifiers...for sure you will have better sonics under such sittuation, at least they will be better matched than we can trying speaker brands.... wanna be happy, use Planet 10 amplifier...not the brand...buy the one he has inside his home... and the speaker he is using in his living room..... heheheh....years of research resulted that..... if he has those things....clever folks already have kidnapped his amplifiers and speakers, for sure.

regards,

Carlos
Old 12th May 2008, 12:12 PM   #1027
Vivek is offline Vivek  India
diyAudio Member

Hi Carlos, Nordic,
I have never really thought about it from the point of view that changing transistors could change the tonality. I will try to find the transistors originally used. If not I will have to see what is to be done. Thanks guys.

Vivek
Old 12th May 2008, 12:17 PM   #1028
diyAudio Member

Stuey, I get mine from www.partsconnexion.com.

www.soundslabsgroup.com.au in Ausralia also sell them, although I do not know if they are ex stock, as they require an enquiry to be made.

billabong.
Old 12th May 2008, 01:59 PM   #1029
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic

Don't make fun of me, I have been swimming in snot for a week now... I have a terrible flu..
Sorry to hear that Nico. Good luck with that snot.

..Todd
Old 12th May 2008, 02:32 PM   #1030
diyAudio Member

Default Todd Johnson, my dear friend.... those guys i could see in your

Video sent to me, they were working stand up.

Is this some joke or they work stand up that way?

hehehehe

Carlos

Hide this!Advertise here!