Hafler P505 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2007, 01:28 AM   #1
RFENG is offline RFENG  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Hafler P505

Hi,

Has anyone come across Hafler P505? I looked at the Hafler's webpage but didn't find any manual. Not much talk on the internet about it as well. I am wondering if anyone here knows about this amplifier. Claims to have same power specs as DH-500. It has quarter inch inputs on the back and level controls. I think they are balanced inputs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is my first post at DIY Audio, so if I have posted this at a wrong place please let me know.

Thanks,
Old 21st December 2007, 04:16 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The circuitry seem identical...of course the 505 was marketed to the pro market with the 1/4 inputs, level pots and I think extra fuse protection, not absolutely sure about the latter.
The P505 manual list it as being net 48lbs. vs 45 for the DH500. Also channel separation: 65dB vs 60. @1Khz.
I have one, but haven't played it in quite some time...I do remember that it didn't sound as clean as the DH500.
Old 21st December 2007, 05:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot for your reply. You mentioned P505 not being as clean as DH-500. I am about to acquire one for just purr stereo listening at home. Do you think this is a good choice? I ask because you mentioned having one. Also do you have the manual for it, would it be possible for you to share it?

Thanks again...
Old 21st December 2007, 09:21 AM   #4
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

The main amp boards are identical to the DH500.

You can bypass all the extra stuff and it will sound the same.

Download the DH500 schematic from Hafler and take a look, I'm sure you will be able to figure it out.
Old 21st December 2007, 11:20 AM   #5
d3imlay is offline d3imlay  United States
diyAudio Member

As I recall the pro stuff had a bunch of opamps for balanced inputs etc. that may account for differences in sound.
Old 21st December 2007, 08:51 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys...

I will be picking it up tomorrow, will keep you guys posted. It seems like everyone is very helpful here. I am glad I found this place.

Happy holidays...
Old 22nd December 2007, 08:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I could send you the page or two that is different from those included in the DH500 manual. BUt it is so minor, dealing with the wiring of the balanced 1/4 jacks.
Good luck, hope the amp you are picking up is in good condition.
Old 28th December 2007, 04:45 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.

Well I picked up the P505. I also bought a DH-110 from ebay.

(1) Connected speakers to the amplifier, turned on and there is a audible hum (more from tweeter and midrange than woofer). The amplifier has a three prong plug with the ground prong chopped off. There is a switch on the back, one side says "float" the other side says "chassis". The switch is currently on "chassis" side. I tried the "float" side but it did not help with the hum, I also flipped the ac chord but that didn't help either.

(2) Second I connected the preamp to the amplifier, the hum remains at the same level. But when I turn the "tone" switch on the DH-110, the hum gets amplified. I also noticed when I turn the volume to maximum the noise shifts from one side to other side (some kind of phase shifting) the hum level doesn't rise a whole lot.

Does anyone has any ideas? The 1/4" connectors are screwed on a fiber washer so they don't make contact with the chassis. There is a level control on the back which is essentially a potentiometer blocking the incoming signal. No circuit, op amp etc.

Please help me in getting rid of this noise. To make things worse the fan is a loud one as well... I don't know what to do with the fan either. Help is greatly appreciated. I will be looking into it more, will try to post some pictures if that helps.

Thanks,
Old 28th December 2007, 04:45 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AcidJazz
I could send you the page or two that is different from those included in the DH500 manual. BUt it is so minor, dealing with the wiring of the balanced 1/4 jacks.
Good luck, hope the amp you are picking up is in good condition.

AcidJazz,

Thank you very much for your offer, I am still trying to understand the very basics of this amp. I posted the problems with the amp, as you will read. Amplifier looks good, just a hum as I mentioned in my post...

Thanks,
Old 28th December 2007, 05:12 AM   #10
d3imlay is offline d3imlay  United States
diyAudio Member

One channel or two? are there level controls? If so do they make any difference?

Hide this!Advertise here!