uPC1237/NTE7100 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2007, 07:46 PM   #1
d3imlay is offline d3imlay  United States
diyAudio Member

Default uPC1237/NTE7100

There have been some recent posts on these chips. Apparently the uPC has a few different versions, most of which are obsolete or will be soon. One post mentioned that of the 4 NTE's he got from China, 3 were bad. I wouldn't mind using the NTE but it only goes to a 60 VDC rail and I need to go to at least 80 and preferably 100VDC.

At the moment I'm playing with a variation of the common discreet circuits. Most of them have some kind of a detection circuit based around a couple transistors or a bridge rectifier that drives a couple transistors. I'd like to use a chip rather than a bunch of discreets as board space is very limited.

So I wonder, what chip is in common use these days? Certainly all of the surround receivers use something that is current.
Old 21st December 2007, 09:45 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I may be wrong, but I believe many (most?) modern protection is handled by a chip which also provides a host of other functions as well.

I'd consider Rod Elliot's board (it's very small), since integrated solutions seem to be disappearing.

According to the data sheet, the uPC1237 is also limited to 60V.
Old 21st December 2007, 11:04 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EchoWars

I'd consider Rod Elliot's board (it's very small), since integrated solutions seem to be disappearing.

I like and have use Rod's board (his project #33). However I have a specific application and will be building up a board that have the relay(s) mounted on the board. I emailed Rod about licensing his circuit but he didn't respond. Although his board is good, component spacing is so tight that solder bridges are a real concern. This problem is magnified as he doesn't use a solder mask.
Old 22nd December 2007, 08:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well, I know you've used it because we've discussed it. Rod apparently had three design goals...simplicity, small size, and low cost. The latter is likely why there's no solder mask.

I wish I could help out, but I have next-to-no idea what the new stuff is using.
Old 22nd December 2007, 11:15 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EchoWars
I may be wrong, but I believe many (most?) modern protection is handled by a chip which also provides a host of other functions as well.

I use the uPC1237 myself, I have no problems buying them from my local supplier. It works exactly as described in the data sheet. You need to figure out some resistor values if you want symmetrical offset protection. I use one uPC per channel as they are so cheap and it helps to keep channels and channel wiring separate.

Indeed it is limited to 60V but that should be trivially easly fixed with a couple of resistors. Just make sure the supply to the chip never gets above 60V.

Jan Didden
Old 22nd December 2007, 12:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman

I use the uPC1237 myself, I have no problems buying them from my local supplier. It works exactly as described in the data sheet. You need to figure out some resistor values if you want symmetrical offset protection. I use one uPC per channel as they are so cheap and it helps to keep channels and channel wiring separate.

Indeed it is limited to 60V but that should be trivially easly fixed with a couple of resistors. Just make sure the supply to the chip never gets above 60V.

Jan Didden
I was thinking about that. A 30 volt zener from the 80V power supply would get below 60V. Are you thinking of using a voltage divider on the input to limit the voltage.
Old 22nd December 2007, 12:41 PM   #7
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

I plan to use the NTE7100 and my breadboard version seems to work okay. I plan to use a simple dropping resistor as shown in the UPC1237 datasheet.
Old 22nd December 2007, 06:24 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by d3imlay

I was thinking about that. A 30 volt zener from the 80V power supply would get below 60V. Are you thinking of using a voltage divider on the input to limit the voltage.

You want to limit the supply of course, not the input voltage. I think paulb above answered it.

Jan Didden
Old 17th February 2008, 08:03 PM   #9
loek is offline loek  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default upc1237

Hello Jan, YGM.
Greetings, Loek
Old 17th February 2008, 08:22 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Hi!

Don't wast time here is complet!

Regards zeoN_Rider
Attached Images
File Type: jpg upc1237_176.jpg (28.6 KB, 2744 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!