uPC1237/NTE7100 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2007, 07:46 PM   #1
d3imlay is offline d3imlay  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Ohio
Default uPC1237/NTE7100

There have been some recent posts on these chips. Apparently the uPC has a few different versions, most of which are obsolete or will be soon. One post mentioned that of the 4 NTE's he got from China, 3 were bad. I wouldn't mind using the NTE but it only goes to a 60 VDC rail and I need to go to at least 80 and preferably 100VDC.

At the moment I'm playing with a variation of the common discreet circuits. Most of them have some kind of a detection circuit based around a couple transistors or a bridge rectifier that drives a couple transistors. I'd like to use a chip rather than a bunch of discreets as board space is very limited.

So I wonder, what chip is in common use these days? Certainly all of the surround receivers use something that is current.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 09:45 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
EchoWars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Left of the Dial
I may be wrong, but I believe many (most?) modern protection is handled by a chip which also provides a host of other functions as well.

I'd consider Rod Elliot's board (it's very small), since integrated solutions seem to be disappearing.

According to the data sheet, the uPC1237 is also limited to 60V.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 11:04 AM   #3
d3imlay is offline d3imlay  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by EchoWars

I'd consider Rod Elliot's board (it's very small), since integrated solutions seem to be disappearing.

According to the data sheet, the uPC1237 is also limited to 60V.
I like and have use Rod's board (his project #33). However I have a specific application and will be building up a board that have the relay(s) mounted on the board. I emailed Rod about licensing his circuit but he didn't respond. Although his board is good, component spacing is so tight that solder bridges are a real concern. This problem is magnified as he doesn't use a solder mask.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2007, 08:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
EchoWars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Left of the Dial
Well, I know you've used it because we've discussed it. Rod apparently had three design goals...simplicity, small size, and low cost. The latter is likely why there's no solder mask.

I wish I could help out, but I have next-to-no idea what the new stuff is using.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2007, 11:15 AM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
jan.didden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Great City of Turnhout, Belgium
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally posted by EchoWars
I may be wrong, but I believe many (most?) modern protection is handled by a chip which also provides a host of other functions as well.

I'd consider Rod Elliot's board (it's very small), since integrated solutions seem to be disappearing.

According to the data sheet, the uPC1237 is also limited to 60V.

I use the uPC1237 myself, I have no problems buying them from my local supplier. It works exactly as described in the data sheet. You need to figure out some resistor values if you want symmetrical offset protection. I use one uPC per channel as they are so cheap and it helps to keep channels and channel wiring separate.

Indeed it is limited to 60V but that should be trivially easly fixed with a couple of resistors. Just make sure the supply to the chip never gets above 60V.

Jan Didden
__________________
I won't make the tactical error to try to dislodge with rational arguments a conviction that is beyond reason - Daniel Dennett
Check out Linear Audio Vol 7!
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2007, 12:26 PM   #6
d3imlay is offline d3imlay  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by janneman



I use the uPC1237 myself, I have no problems buying them from my local supplier. It works exactly as described in the data sheet. You need to figure out some resistor values if you want symmetrical offset protection. I use one uPC per channel as they are so cheap and it helps to keep channels and channel wiring separate.

Indeed it is limited to 60V but that should be trivially easly fixed with a couple of resistors. Just make sure the supply to the chip never gets above 60V.

Jan Didden
I was thinking about that. A 30 volt zener from the 80V power supply would get below 60V. Are you thinking of using a voltage divider on the input to limit the voltage.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2007, 12:41 PM   #7
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Calgary
I plan to use the NTE7100 and my breadboard version seems to work okay. I plan to use a simple dropping resistor as shown in the UPC1237 datasheet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2007, 06:24 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
jan.didden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Great City of Turnhout, Belgium
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally posted by d3imlay


I was thinking about that. A 30 volt zener from the 80V power supply would get below 60V. Are you thinking of using a voltage divider on the input to limit the voltage.

You want to limit the supply of course, not the input voltage. I think paulb above answered it.

Jan Didden
__________________
I won't make the tactical error to try to dislodge with rational arguments a conviction that is beyond reason - Daniel Dennett
Check out Linear Audio Vol 7!
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2008, 08:03 PM   #9
loek is offline loek  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Hague
Default upc1237

Hello Jan, YGM.
Greetings, Loek
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2008, 08:22 PM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
zeonrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Belgrade RS
Default Hi!

Don't wast time here is complet!

Regards zeoN_Rider
Attached Images
File Type: jpg upc1237_176.jpg (28.6 KB, 2744 views)
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question on uPC1237 Buzzy Solid State 18 3rd August 2008 01:22 AM
Upc1237 Ic d3imlay Solid State 3 7th February 2008 12:14 PM
upc1237 circuit diagram.. clovi_kate Solid State 1 4th May 2007 10:16 AM
UPC1237 IC Amp Protector matt09 Chip Amps 5 2nd November 2006 06:59 PM
Problems with UPC1237 Risto80 Solid State 4 27th December 2004 02:38 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:40 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2