Bi-Amping.....Which one where?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all. I am running a Bi-Amp system and not sure what amp to use for what app. The 2 amps that I have are a NAD2100 and a Kenwood Basic M2A. It is a simple single 4 ohm 10" sub with 4 ohm 2-way bookshelf speakers. I have been running the NAD on the 2-ways and the Kenwood on the sub (just using one channel). Heres the thing ( isn't there ALWAYS a "thing?) I have found out that the NAD IS stable down to 4 ohms bridged. The Kenwood isn't bridgable at all to the best of my knowledge.

Any thoughts on what should be used where?

Thanks for the help, Ken

I really wouldn't called that bi-amping or running a bi-amp setup in the purest sense. Anyways why not experiment with both arrangements? Its the best way really. With bookshelf speakers as your mains I seriously doubt you need gobs of power for the sub. I'd say the the NAD on the sub with the Kenny for the mains would be the best configuration.

I don't have much for specs for the Kenwood except it is rated at 220 watts per channel into 8-ohm loads and over 300 watts per channel into 4-ohm loads with dynamic range over 300 watts per channel into 8 ohm and over 500 watts per channel into 4 ohm loads.

On the NAD I have a bit more.

Continuous output power into 8ohm * 60W (17dBW)

Rated distortion (THD 20Hz - 20kHz) 0.03%

Clipping power (maximum continuous power per channel) 70W

IHF Dynamic headroom at 8ohm +6dB

IHF dynamic power (maximum short term power per channel)
8ohm------ 200W (23dBW)
4ohm------ 250W (24dBW)
2ohm------ 330W (25dBW)

Damping factor (ref. 8ohm, 50Hz) >100

Input impedance 10kohm / 600pF

Input sensitivity (for rated power into 8ohm) 0.85V

Frequency response 3Hz - 100kHz / +0, -3dBdB

Signal/noise ratio ref. 1W 100dB

ref. rated power 117dB

THD (20Hz - 20kHz) <0.03%

------------Bridged Mode----------------

Continuous output power into 8ohm * 100W (20dBW)

IHF Dynamic headroom at 8ohm +7dB

IHF dynamic power (maximum short term power per channel)
8ohm--------- 500W (27dBW)
4ohm--------- 660W (28dBW)

The NAD specs are from their own spec sheet. I am thinking that it would be better to bridge the NAD for the sub and run the Kenwood stereo for the 2-way's. But I also know that alot of other things come into play other than just power ratings. Slew rates, damping factor, etc. I wish I had more on the Kenwood but info on that old amp is hard to find. Power ratings are it.

Again, thanks for the input

Ken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.