Lower rails for lower impedance?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Acurus A250s. I also have a pair of dual 2 ohm subwoofers I would like to power. Does anyone know if dropping the rail voltage 20% or so would make operation into a nominal 2 ohm load possible with an amplifier like this? I have plenty of tansformers to play with. I haven't looked inside the amps in a while, but IIRC, the power tranny only had one set of secondaries and one set of rails, the amplifier modules only had one set of +/- DC voltage inputs... No seperate windings/supplies for the front end, etc....

I have no idea what kind of protection the amps have either....

I am currently running one of the amps for both subs, 4 ohms per channel. I would like to make use of the second amplifier, it is doing nothing right now and the added output would be nice....

With dual 2 ohm coils for a pair of subs you can only end up with a pair of 4 ohm subs, or a pair of 1 ohm subs, or a single 8 ohm load, either way, this only works for 1 amplifier, not the pair. I am currently running the one amp on both subs, 4 ohms per side. I could run both amps, just using one channel of each (kind of a waste), or just run each amp at 2 ohms stereo on a single sub (bad idea)

I want to run both amps.... and use the full 800 watts from each amp...

I made a big step back in power, I got rid of the 2.8Kw PA amps I was running before, one running each sub. They had a lot of headroom, but the fans drove me nuts. The A250 sounds a hell of a lot better than the Peavey amps, but I lost some of the headroom I had.

The subs are a pair of XXX 18s, BTW, the XBL2 versions, in big vented boxes tuned really low, but they can still use a little more than 400 watts each, I think 800 would be better....

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Hi 95Honda,

Why use DVC if you re-cone? These are more versatile to the stores selling them than someone building a permanent solution. Why not just use the impedance you need.

The power you draw with lower impedance loads comes with a price tag and isn't necessarily louder. Higher distortion, and generally speaking, less power efficient driver construction. It's a trade-off I've never favoured myself.

..Todd

I don't really understand your post.... I think I am misunderstanding something...

I am going to switch to dual 4 ohm coils from dual 2 in order to make better use of the home audio oriented amplifiers out there today.... This gives me the option to have dual 4 ohm loads per sub or a single 8 ohm, or single 2 ohm if I ever decide to go back to a prosound amp... My whole point with the recone was to have a higher impedance driver and stay away from the real low impedance high current amplifiers avalible... That I have used before...

I have a pair of amplifiers that are 4 ohm stable. I have a pair of subwoofers that have dual 2 ohm coils. I would like to use my pair of amplifiers on my pair of subwoofers. I cannot do this because my pair of amplifiers cannot drive my pair of subwoofers using all of the avalible power (channels) due to my voice coils being dual 2 ohm. If they were dual 4 ohm coils I could use both amplifiers, one on each sub, each driving a pair of 4 ohm coils, each putting out a full 800 watts per subwoofer.

This is my problem... Unless I upgrade/change something... :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.