Size dilemma question?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In this year build some amps prototypes and sound good ..only good. (doz ..esp.. gainclones rotels..arcams..fets..naims..Hk…Dx..regas…albarry...and much more)but have an question…when exchange some components in the main fiberglass of the my protoamps the sound exchange too….but the question is :

How sound the same prototypes in half size fiberglass board?...more…more small size.
This affects the amp sound?

If I understand you correct, you ask if the sound will be affected if you make the prototype board smaller ?

If so, it could affect the sound both ways;
In a good way because the signal path gets shorter....
In a bad way because you may have high power tracks very close to small signal tracks...

Always think when making layouts ;)

tadium: " How [is the] sound [changed by] the same prototypes [on smaller] half size fiberglass board?"

ACD: " If so, it could affect the sound both ways;
" In a good way because the signal path gets shorter....
" In a bad way because you may have high power tracks very close to small signal tracks... "

Pardon my re-interpretation of your original question(s).

I agree with ACD, as signal pathways change in length and / or size the sound reproduced will often be somewhat different. Also the board material, if different, can have a dramatic effect on the sound, mostly because of the different capacitance (different dielectric material) between signal paths on the board. ACD is also correct: reducing the physical size of a circuit board will certainly bring the signal traces closer to the power traces, adding to the crosstalk and impedance changes.

Sometimes there is magic in the way a certain project was designed and scaling it down or up can dramatically change the end results. :eek:

(I really like ADC's ultra flat power MOSFET amp board pictured on his web site ... :D )

Winner for size selection?

IMHO chose the trace size to suit your amp power (pre-amp = smaller, power amp larger, big power amp quite large), then generally accepted good practice dictate the resulting board size required. For a good example see the 150 Watt board that ACD builds at his web site = that "flat" amp board ... ;) ... note the "fat" traces where the power is routed, the slim traces back in the low power section(s) ... I estimate that board to be about 3" by 7" ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.