Sansui AU 7700 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2007, 03:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sansui AU 7700

Recently came across this vinatge Sansui AU 7700 integrated amp from the late 70s. For what it is from that period of time is very impressive. Good build quality and the sound is spectacular.

Anyway have decided to keep it. However looking to get rid of those spring loaded speaker connectors and hopefully replace with something that can accept spades/banana connections.

Anyone out there ever try this mod? If so straightforward or some hassels along the way.

Many Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sansui au 7700 b.jpg (74.2 KB, 181 views)
Old 12th December 2007, 11:54 PM   #2
ilimzn is offline ilimzn  Croatia
diyAudio Member

I've had both the 7700 and it's bigger brother, the 7900. The mod is fairly straightforward, but you will need to make a small plate of sorts (pexiglass or something similar) in order to hold the new connectors, while being fastened to the existing cut-out on the chasis and it's associated screw holes. There is a fair amount of space underneeth so you should have no problems there.
Both the 7700 and the 7900 sound quite good, and can slund really good with some judicious mods (like cap and semi changes). One thing that makes a rather big impact to the better but is a bit difficult to implement is replacing the input dual transistors in the power amp with similar parts that do not have an internally connected emitter terminal, so that emitter degeneration can be used. On a 7900 I tweaked this way I used standard discrete transistors that were paired, and just put resistors 'in line' with the emitter terminals. Works great...
Old 13th December 2007, 01:20 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the follow up on the Sansui AU 7700 speaker post modification. That certainly seems straight forward enough for me.

As for the othe modification info, that will have to be done, by someone that has better eyesight and steadier hands than me.

At 65 now, my major DIY days are far behind me. Simple things like the speaker mod and other simple mods, I can still handle

I thank you very much for the time to reply to this post, it is most appreciated.

Hide this!Advertise here!